Rooster or pullet

Alagrace

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
Hi, I have 6 Ameraucana chicks that I am trying to sex. Two of the boys, I knew were roosters at two weeks old. They have bright red combs that are large, and one is already trying to crow now at 5 weeks old. The others are harder for me. I have a feeling they are all roosters, but I am still hoping at least one is a pullet. This first one seems to only have one ridge on the comb, but is developing a bump at the top of its comb that makes me think maybe a later developing rooster?

Chick #1 6 week old splash

Chick #2 5 week old splash

Chick #3 5 week old blue

For Ameraucanas it is still way too early to tell either way... you can get your early bloomers, like it sounds you did, but most are hard to tell til they get about 10-12 weeks old... then if they're boys, the saddle feathers come in and you can tell easy...
I've found the 1 row/3 row peas to be unreliable markers for my own Am's, all my pullets started with 3 rows, lol...

That is such a relief! Thank you. I was so disappointed to think that all my chicks were roosters!

If your birds like to sit on a board or tree limb then the are roosters. Not all chickens like to roost during the day and it's not gender specific though cock birds tend to roost for good vantage point to look out for predators.

Here's a thread on sexing Easter Eggers via comb, general fairly accurate is 3 grooves on comb is cockerel. Pea comb birds are inherently hard to sex, EE's are easier including feather color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/522028/3-grooved-pea-comb-roo-clearer-photos

I have a bird with a comb like that first bird, with the round bump. My bird is male, but I don't think that spot on the comb was the indicator, it's just unusual. My bird is 3/4 Ameraucana, 1/4 Other, so I just assumed it was from the mixed blood. Not sure you can even see it in the pics I have of him...

Back
Top Bottom