Rooster Outcasted

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken8Lips, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Chicken8Lips

Chicken8Lips New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    I had accidently received two Roosters when buying last lot of chickens. They seemed to get along having four hens a piece but recently lost a few to fox and now have two roosters and four hens. Since then the one rooster has been out casted from group and even when free roaming is not allowed with the group. They do let him in the coop at night but only after much fighting and him hiding in the corner. There is no damage to him and he is eating and drinking. Will this be fine until I get more hens this spring or should I "retire" him. I don't really want to deal with separation and cages.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    If it were me I would separate and give each rooster 2 hens but that would only be if I really wanted to keep both roosters, otherwise I would just sell or giveaway one of them.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you don't plan to use the second rooster for breeding or something next year, I'd "retire" him one way or another right now rather than wait until spring. It is going to be a long winter and no reason to have the fighting if you can avoid it in the coop.

4. Chicken8Lips

Chicken8Lips New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    Problem solved. Kids came home and refused to accept giving away rooster or "retiring" him. Looks like I will be monitoring the situation and separating if needed. The situation is new so perhaps they will work things out ..... if not looks like I will be doing a small modification in the coop.

Thanks for the input

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    edited to remove first post.
    never mind. back away from the keyboard.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Chicken8Lips

Chicken8Lips New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    Weird comment .... care to elaborate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by