1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster overbreeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by astodd7835, Mar 20, 2015.

1. astodd7835

astodd7835 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Southern NH
    So here's the problem... I have this gorgeous Barred Rock roo Eddie. He's over breeding my 10 hens. I've had to use a chicken saddle on one of them and looks like a couple more will need them soon. His claws and spurs are not the issue. The issue is he's a very amorous rooster. Doing what roos do I know. I thought at first I would try to rehome him but find people are not always who they say they are. i want him to stay a pet, maybe with a larger harem, lol! He's a great watch dog and takes good care of his girls. My kids and husband aren't totally sold that he's just doing what roos do. Do you experts think I'm being irresponsible keeping him and continuing to use the chicken saddles to protect the girl's backs and keep him? I love watching him take care them when they free range which they only do when I'm out with them at dusk due to the hawk population in our area. Will it hurt them to keep the saddles on and interfere with dirt baths etc. They really don't seem bothered by him except for one hen who screams bloody murder when he looks her way...hysterical. Your opinion please. BTW thay have a very large covered outdoor run and coop for during the day. Thanks as always, Amy

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I had the same problem with the very first rooster I had. He had 17 hens and still wasn't satisfied. In the end I got rid of him and noticed that the flock as a whole was a lot calmer after he had gone. Just my experience. Every rooster and every flock is different. The rooster I have now is way less active and lives happily with his girls.

3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    How old is he?

4. astodd7835

May 21, 2014
    Southern NH
    He's only 1 roo to 10 hens. Should I try more hens?

5. astodd7835

May 21, 2014
    Southern NH
    He's 2. Do you think he'll chill after a while ?

6. astodd7835

May 21, 2014
    Southern NH
    2, do you think he'll change as he gets older?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    At two years old he is unlikely to change. That behavior is fairly typical of an adolescent but he is well past that stage.

More hens or less hens won’t make any real difference. You can have the same kinds of problems whether you have one rooster with one hen or one rooster with 40 hens. Some people love to have magic numbers where they can put something in a box and have it happen the same way every time, but you are dealing with living animals. Real life doesn’t work that way.

Some hens have brittle feathers. No matter how gentle the rooster is the feathers just break really easily. That’s not the rooster’s fault, it’s genetic. I’ve solved the bareback hen problem in my flock by removing the bare backed hen, not the rooster. Since those genetics were not passed on, I no longer have a barebacked hen problem in my flock. That option is not available to everyone and brittle feathers is not always the problem either.

Have you checked them very carefully for mites or lice? Roost mites only come out at night so you really need to check after dark when they are on the roost. Sometimes mites or lice can cause feather loss.

The saddles will not interfere with dust bathing or anything else. You might want to make sure they are made out of wool because that handles being wet better than most other options. To me the only concern with saddles would be wet cold weather.

The hens have a part to play in mating too. Most people ignore that part of it. They have to accept his dominance, that’s just the way flock dynamics are set up for a peaceful flock. Some hens can’t do that and some roosters cannot win the hen’s confidence. Each chicken has its own personality. They are living animals.

From what you are describing he is probably a jerk. Some of your hens being bare backed is not what makes me feel that way, that could be due to something else and not anything the rooster is doing. It’s that one hen’s reaction to him. Even that is not clear cut. Sometimes there is something wrong with a hen and the rooster won’t accept her in his flock but will be pretty brutal to her, trying to run her off or even kill her. The hens will sometimes do that too.

It’s really difficult to know what is going on for sure with your flock, especially from across the internet. Sometimes it is difficult when looking at them.

Yes, it can be very difficult to find a good forever home for a rooster, especially if he is a jerk. When someone else owns him they own him, you don’t any more. What they do with him is up to them.

8. astodd7835

May 21, 2014
    Southern NH
    Thanks for your input! I think he might be a jerk too! In your opinion what is my best bet at finding someone to take him? I know once he goes he's no longer mine but I hate the thought of him be used for cock fighting.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you don't want him used for cock fighting, try to find someone on Craigslist that will eat him. Ultimately it means you need to trust whoever you give him to. That's not always easy.

10. astodd7835

May 21, 2014
    Southern NH
    Thanks. It!s a tough one for sure. Wish he had worked out. I just want a nice roo, any recommendations? I have buff orps, americaunas, and barred rock hens. Would like to add some more girls but wanted them treated well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by