rooster owners- what is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lalaland, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    I have two roosters (surprise!) - a silkie and a banty cross, that were raised together, approx 8 months old. 3 hens (am getting chicks to increase hen ratio to roosters). Aplha rooster is being challenged by other roo, who is crowing all of a sudden. Alpha rooster is starting to chase other roo off food and water. Big run with lots of places to get away from each other. Small coop. I've put water and food in 3 places.

Chicks coming in June, hope to god they are as advertised (pullets). Think I can hold out that long for things to ease up between these too roos? Will I come home one day to a dead or seriously injured roo?

Both roos mate hens, and I'm watching hens carefully and they aren't being injured (although they are standard hens and the alpha roo can't quite manage the big girls and hanges on by feathers on the back of the head, and he has pulled most of them out as he falls off the hen, the dummy).

Your advice? I would really like to keep both as I've grown fond of them.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think you ought to get some saddles for your hens. If your new chicks are arriving in June, I can almost guarantee that the situation is going to get worse before it gets better. Unfortunately, your hens will suffer for it.

The smart thing would be to make a bachelor pad for one rooster and choose one hen for him to live with. When your flock is larger, then you can combine everyone together if you choose to.

3. lalaland

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    so far the hens are doing fine- i really am watching pretty closely. Would not have chosen roosters, but it happens.

I've heard roos raised together won't kill each other, don't know if that is true. I am unable to separate them right now, when the frost is out of the ground I could set up another run, but not yet.

I am not sure why the subordinate roo just started crowing today. A couple of months ago the roos started to crow - but after the first day, the subordinate roo never crowed. Starting to crow now makes me worried he is going to challenge the other roo.

4. Bugcrusher

Bugcrusher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I have the almost same situation. 2 barred rock roos with 7 hens all about 1 yr old. They hardly fight at all, and both pester the hens and both crow. Stays fairly peaceful. More hens is the answer for me anyway. I think the searation idea is a good one.[​IMG]

GOOD LUCK!

Pine Cty MN...is that the Pine lake region? Wifey is from there!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My (big) Andalusian rooster has been bloodied up three times. I mean blooded sprayed on the walls - gory! Gouges in the chest area and big hunks taken out of the back of the neck. Each time, it was the Silkie roo (they were brooder-mates) tag teaming with another small rooster.
    I got rid of the other small roos. Now Silkie is solidly in second place. [​IMG]

6. lalaland

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    wow! so after only the silkie and the andulusian were left, there was no more bloody fights?

and I'm not sure where Pine Lake is, but don't think it is in Pine County! Pine City is in Pine County, you can see we apparently think about pines alot or else are not very creative.

7. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    I have 2 Welsummer roosters running with my 13-15 game hens and they get along great.They are brothers that grew up together,and they do pretty good together.The bigger one chases the other one around a little,but never fight.Shoot they even roost side by side.Your boys should be fine together,but I would see about getting saddles for your girls.My DGF is going to try her hand out at making some for our girls.Good luck.
    Kevin

8. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    It is my understanding that roos penned by themselves can live a fine life too - they fight over the hens. If you have a separate area, that is one suggestion. Else the idea of splitting the hens up so each roo has a few. Other than that, prepare for fights and it can get brutal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by