Rooster pecking/biting me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoolClucker, Feb 1, 2014.

1. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    Hey all. I have a 7 month old Golden Laced Wyandotte Roo and he's lately started pecking at me. I have 3 wounds on my hands right now from this past week alone. He bruises me when he bites, it's quite painful. I'm trying to figure out why he's doing this. Usually it's when I come in to give treats, so thought maybe it could be the treat bag or container is spooking him? The other day I dropped a plastic lid in the run, reached down to get it near him and he pecked my hand hard. This morning I was adding feed to their feeder, and he pecked my hand again. I was holding a large red scoop, so maybe that was it? Other than the pecks, he is pretty much fine with me. When I first come in he jumps at me and pecks at my legs/hands but again, maybe it could be the containers I'm holding? After that he's completely fine. Even the other day when I had to put Vaseline on all their combs and wattles, he took his like a champ and the only thing he did was walk around and keep an eye on me when I was picking up the girls. I'm stumped but my hands hurt so I need some advice. Is he getting aggressive with me? I've had him , all of them, since they were 3 days old. No new introductions or anything. I don't know if it's excitement over treats and since he's pumped full of testosterone right now if that's causing him to react this way, if he's turning on me, or if it's the objects I'm holding. Any advice is appreciated.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens seem to be attracted to red. The pecking may be an attempt to get the food from your hand or an attraction to any jewelry you may be wearing. Chickens seem to be rattled by large, strange things that approach from overhead.

Roosters are destined to be dominant, but must not be allowed to dominate the humans.

I would make sure that the rooster is kept in his place. If he comes up to flog you, you need to act accordingly to dominate him. I usually just walk straight into the rooster and make him back up.

One day, I was putting aprons on some of the hens. Without looking to see where the rooster was, I picked up one of the hens and got pecked by him. I can appreciate that he was protecting his hens, so that was my fault. After that, I check to see where he is before picking up one of the hens. Otherwise, I put the aprons on at night when the chickens are inactive.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by