Rooster pecking one of my buffs- only picking on one out of 20 adult hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by allymcshop, Jun 9, 2018.

1. allymcshop

allymcshop In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2016
    Please help! A couple of days ago our white leghorn rooster- 9 months old starting picking on and pecking my buff's head from the comb down the back to the neck. She is scared and is hiding from him- they are all free range. Last night she came out and laid down and allowed him to peck more. They were even separated by chcken wire. What is going on and what should I do? I have 20 adult hens and 24 10 week old ones. I have two other buffs identical to this one but he only picks on her. Should I catch her and put her in a dog cage?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd catch him and put him in the freezer. Every now and then a rooster will target a particular hen. Once started it rarely ceases until the hen is killed.

3. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    This. I'm all about second chances but she doesn't deserve his abuse. That's not fair to her to live in fear because of one jerk of a roo. Hens should be your top priority. They come before a rooster.

sourland likes this.
  4. allymcshop

allymcshop In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2016
    Since my post I learned how to deal with this conflict and it has gotten lots better. There’s a great article about bullies today and how to deal with them. It worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: