1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Pecking Order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by F106A, May 24, 2011.

1. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    My young flock of 18, six-to-eight week olds includes two Leghorn roosters. For the most part, they all get along fine, but I have noticed normal "pecking order" type behavior. It's actually been very neat to watch them mature.

One wierd thing sure caught my eye the other day, however. The two roos were up on what I call the "top shelf" of my brooder just 'chilling out' -- pretty normal from what I've seen them do -- when all of a sudden one of the roos ran over to the other, and with his beak put a death grip on the other roo's comb! It sure got my attention! I was sitting at my work bench, and just hollered at them. (Something like, "W T H are you doing?!") It was the most violent behavior I've seen any of my chicks do. They broke it up, and I checked on the victim roo. He was fine, but I sure am curious as to what brought that on. Like I said, they both seemed pretty relaxed, weren't bothering each other, then all of a sudden a lightning bolt struck!

From everything I've read, I suppose I should just chalk this up to a pecking order type of behavior, but it sure took me by surprise. Not to mention the victim roo!

Has anyone seen anything like that? I should add I can't keep the roos (local ordinance), but I do know a guy at my church that is interested in taking them to a good home.

Thanks,

Mark

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Testosterone causes bizarre behaviors. I can still remember. [​IMG]

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    It sounds like a dominance thing, like that one roo was reminding the other who was boss.

4. livin_the_life

livin_the_life New Egg

May 24, 2011
    some roosters are naturally aggressive even at a younge age. theres not much u can do about them, just break up the fights, you know?

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Yep, sounds like the pecking order in progress to me. I've seen that sort of behavior before, with 90% of the eggs I hatch turning into cockerels [​IMG]

6. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by