Rooster personality change

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bethk, Feb 28, 2013.

1. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I have 2 roosters, about 8 months old. They were previously kept in a separate coop but a week ago I put one of them in with my 5 hens. He was previously very docile. This morning he attached me when I was in the coop. He came flying at me again this evening when I was collecting eggs. He is a big rooster. I can't tolerate this aggression. Should I cook him? I am not sure if he has fertilized all 5 hens yet. He is a big handsome olive egger. If I put him back in the bachelor pad, will he chill out?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First he's now hormone filled at 8 months of age. Second, he is now overly protective of his harem.

This happens.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello, and Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

How do you keep it from happening? Are there any roosters who don't do this sort of thing? Do you just cull the ones who do? Sorry to hijack, just really confused about this rooster hormones problem.

5. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Although there are hundreds of threads about roosters and their "taming" or "stewing" here on BYC, my opinion about the matter is not universally held.. Yet? If you hang out on the Heritage breeds threads here, experienced breeders and keepers of heritage fowl will widely hold my point of view.

It's mostly about the breeding.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

8. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, I'm a fan of this opinion, so I think I'll cull cull cull and wait for the gentlemen to show themselves.

9. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I think we are going to cook him up this weekend. He is a BIG boy. I can't take care of my hens and worry about him attacking me. Can I assume he has fertilized all 5 hens in 1 week?

10. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by