Rooster picking feathers around the hens vent.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7L Farm, Dec 13, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    What should I do? I noticed him & one of the hens picking the feathers around the vent.Only around the vent about the size of a fifty cent piece. Its picked perfectly round. Not all the girls just about though. I caught one earlier but she wasn't pecked. Please advice me on what to do. The hens are around 8 months old. The rooster picks the feathers & feeds them to the hens.

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I've heard that feather eating can be a sign of not getting enough protein. I tend to cook up excess eggs and feed them back to the girls every now and then. It's a great treat, takes care of excess eggs, and is good for them all at the same time.

Maybe someone else will have more info for you. Watch them carefully though, excessive picking can cause damage, and any bleeding will attract all of them to pick/peck and cause a large injury in a hurry.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I appreciate your input. I feed them 17% laying pellots, boss, meat, veggies from the garden, eggs trust me I wish it was protein they needed. My concern is why do they only pick the feathers around the vent. Should, I move the roo to another coop are what. Are they sick ? They seem fine their eating, drinking taking dirt bathe everything is normal . Matter of fact I got 9 eggs from my flock of ten hens. Best day yet. I'd sure hate for anything to happen to them.

4. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Hmmmm - OK - that would have been the easy thing to fix, but looks like you already are good in that department.
    Hope you can figure it out ! Little buggers are darn confusing sometimes in they way they act and what they do.

Maybe someone else will know of another reason ....

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Guess no one can help. I put blue kote where the feathers are missing. Hope I did the right thing.

6. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    maybe he is getting poked back:) and does not like it:)

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I think you hit the nail on the head. I just hate seeing this behaviour. Dang , chickens.

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Any other advice?

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    As stated I put blue kote where the feathers were picked & looked for mites didn't see any. Will the blue kote keep them from pecking more feathers. I keep asking because the spots are getting bigger. What to do ? I'm a bit concerned because if this behaviour isn't stopped they will be feather less. How do I stop this?

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by