Rooster picking help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by marvun22, Aug 19, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I have a plan for the future to get 50 new hens and 5 new roosters. I can't decide on all the roosters I want. I need 5. Here are the 5 I have planned for right now. I want the rooster to either be defensive, nice, or both. I'll put double asterisks (**) on breeds that I won't change and one asterisk on breeds I have a 60% chance or higher that I won't change.

Buff Orpington**
    Golden Laced Wyandotte*
    Rhode Island Red
    Easter Egger
    Delaware

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, personally, I'd get a Columbian Wyandotte rooster. In my experience (I've had a Columbian Wyandotte hen and know other people with Columbian Wyandottes), Columbian's are very pretty birds, with great personality. In my opinion, they are one of the prettiest varieties of Wyandotes. My avatar is of my Columbian Wyandotte's head. Columbian Wyandottes are not as common as the other varieties, but you should still be able to find them at most hatcheries.

I would not get a Rhode Island Red rooster. From what I've heard, Rhode Island Red roosters are some of the meanest roosters. I have a hen, and, though she's not mean, she's not very personable either.

3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'll definitely put it on my consideration. I'm sure everybody has a good experience with lots of different breeds.

I know Rhode Island Red Roosters are mean. I have 3 full grown hens that are not very nice and I have a 11 week old rooster that doesn't have much of a personality yet. I go on the figuring scale and say meanness-good hen defender. I want at least one rooster to be defensive. I also want some friendly roosters as well.

Also, I just realized something. The Columbian Wyandotte roo would probably take the place of the Delaware, seeing that they are very alike.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by