Rooster picking on 2 hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lrumpf, Sep 29, 2016.

1. lrumpf

lrumpf New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    I recently added a rooster to the coop. I have 2 polish top hat hens and 2 naked neck hens. Im noticing that the rooster seems to accept the 2 naked necks and is breeding with them. The PTHs seem to be getting picked on by rooster. I see chasing and lots of feathers about the coop that belong to the top hats. They also seem to have segregated themselves and stay away from others now. Is this ok, as long as they are eating and look healthy? I guess I just want to know if this pecking order is normal. Thanks for your help.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

What kind of Rooster?
    Sometimes polish will get the feathers pecked off their heads because they look different....

Cheers!

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's the type of behaviors that make me remove a rooster. He's probably young and hormonal and only cares about mating. I personally would remove him either temporarily or permanently. I have seen polish get their crest pecked open enough to kill them. I would look for a more mature and calmer rooster. Your hens shouldn't have to put up with that.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. lrumpf

lrumpf New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    He supposedly a polish top hat cross. He's pretty big though. Not sure of age. Their crests look ok now, but there are feathers all over the coop.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could they be molting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by