1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster picking on pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gmachicken, Oct 3, 2011.

1. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hi,
    When we got home this afternoon one of my Barred Rocks, about 23 weeks old, one that is not normally an escapee, tried to get out as I was going into their yard. As I picked her up to put her back in I found that she had been pecked and was now bloody. It looked pretty deep, on top of her head right behind her comb.

The rooster showed his true feathers and attached her in front of me. Well I knew then what had to be done.
    The hen is separated, in a crate in the garage and the rooster is waiting for a new home or a pot, not mine, one day soon.

So when we got home this evening I put some neosproin on her injury. The bleeding looked like it was beginning to dry some.

So my question would be, what should the further treatment for her be. How many times a day would I need to put the ointment on. How long does she need to be kept sequestered?

I notice from time to time the girls sort of ganging up on each other. They always are pecking and pulling out feathers but that is just chickens. The rooster was just over the top! Is there something I should add to their diet. They get a very good Poultry blend called all in one from our local Co-Op store. 1 scoop of corn in the AM and a few handfuls of a delightful mix of seeds and nuts in the afternoon.

I think I'm getting off subject. If anyone could let me know what else to do or if I'm barking up the wrong tree with what I have done I would appreciate the thoughts.

Thank you.

PS If you need a photo I'm not sure how to get it on this page so will try on my page.

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    gmachicken ......... Sounds like they need more protein. Some people on here suggest feeding them scrambled eggs and black oil sunflower seeds(boss). Also maybe try a different brand of feed like purina or dumour to see if that helps!

Edited to add... use some blukote type spray on the wound or neosporin without pain relief on the hurt hen and she should be fine in a week or so.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    You can put the neosporin on 2 to 3 times daily or put something like Blu Kote or Rooster Booster's Anti Pick Lotion on her wound so that the others won't see it and peck it too.
    I'd put her back in as soon as possible so they don't think she's someone they've not seen and all gang up on her when you put her back in with them.

Do your chickens get out into a run during the daytime? Sounds like they are either bored or missing something nutritionally if they are picking feathers out.
    Usually more protein is needed if they are picking feathers. You can feed scrambled eggs for more protein and see if that helps at all.

What protein is your feed you're feeding? Do they have feed available 24/7 or are you feeding just in the AM and PM?
    Do they have oyster shell for calcium available 24/7 and also grit?

At 18 to 23 weeks they are coming into sexual maturity and probably trying to establish a pecking order if they haven't already. The roo is establishing his breeding behavior most likely though he's picking on her more severely than normal.

I've got an EE hen that my Ameraucana roo despises and does the same thing to her head. She knows to stay out of his way but doesn't always and he gets her but good.. he is leaving as soon as the neighbor gets their place ready for him. He's great to the other girls but just torments this one hen and I can't have that!

4. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Thanks for the advice.
    They are free ranged on a little less than a 1/4 acre area.
    OK on the eggs but how many eggs would I need to fix them? I only get 8-10 a day. and there are 18 of them! How about Cottage Cheese or other types of protein.
    The protein is 19% if I remember right on the feed I'm giving them. They have food and water 24/7
    I was under the impression that if they are free ranged the oyster shell and grit were not needed. Should i get
    another feeder and put that in near their other feed?
    I will look for the Blu Kote or Rooster Booster's Anti Pick Lotion, her wound looked pretty good tonight and she seems to
    be less stressed. So I'll do my best to get her back in the coop tomorrow evening.
    The Roo is in a separate cage but in the coop until I can get a home for him. Hopefully very soon!
    Thank you both again for the advice. I'll let you know how it is going.

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Any kind of protein would be fine to supplement with, not just scrambled eggs [​IMG] *it was late when I wrote that and couldn't think of other things like cottage cheese!* LOL

It sounds like your feed has enough protein though.
    Even if they free range they can need more calcium. I just put baby pig feeders in all my coops and put oyster shell in one and grit in another..just to be sure they have it if needed since it's relatively inexpensive.

I use Flock Raiser and a Game bird scratch instead of layer feed since I have roosters and it keeps the roos from getting too much calcium and allows the hens to get as much as they need.

Glad she's doing better and I think finding the roo a new home is great!

Do keep us posted on how she is doing [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by