1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster picking on pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krista74, Aug 4, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have 6 pullets and one rooster, whom up until now hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. They are all approximately 8 months old, and all the girls are laying fine.

I have often wondered why one of the 4 RIR's in the flock always seems to lag behind the rest of the crew. She is always several metres behind the group as they free-range our property, and I could never figure out why.

Today I got my first clue!

She was laying in the coop, while the other were still foraging outside. When she went to re-join the group after laying her egg, the rooster caught sight of her and full-on chased her twice around the yard! [​IMG]

At one point they both stopped, and he gave her a quick peck. Then she flew up onto the top of an old wooden structure we have in the yard to safety.

I responded as you would expect - "George! Naughty boy! Stop it and leave her alone!" [​IMG]

George casually wandered off to the rest of the girls, with the RIR following a few paces behind. After that, everything settled down and they all free-ranged together, with her assuming her usual position a few metres behind.

What's going on here?! I thought the roo was meant to be protecting his girls, not pecking them. Two hours later, and they all seem quiet and happy together.

And I am left confused.....[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice.

- Krista

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. para566

para566 New Egg

Mar 30, 2014
    Krista, I had the exact number of hens last yr with one roo. The same thing happened to me. He is just doing his job in his mind, keeping track of all his girls. that is just his way of letting her know how the boss is & where she should be. In time he will get oh shall I say more tolerate of the hens going off on their own , but for now he is young & new at this. I just added 23 more girls to the flock 2 wks ago & he still stays with his first 6 gals more than the others. that being said I was shooing one of the new girls away from my garden she squawked and he was over the shed & between me & her faster than I can shake my head it was funny because HE KNOWS I am the boss or he will be bear hugged again (something he hates in front of the girls).

3. mommarob

mommarob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Will the roosters get to rough and.kill the hens?...I have had hens for 3 yrs. Everything has been calm and happy. I inherited baby chicks and now realize I have 2 roosters...I was hearing a lot of unusually squawking, when I went to see what was up he was on her back and she was hurt. I took her out and tried to nurse her back, but she died the next day..Is there a trick to calm these boys down, or am I going to keep losing my hens?...ugggggg!!!!

4. para566

para566 New Egg

Mar 30, 2014
    If your roo was that rough to kill one of your girls then for me it is time for some fried chicken. I know that sounds mean but he is not going to get any better with the hens. It comes down to culling him or loosing more hens/eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. mommarob

mommarob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for getting back to me, I ended up giving the roo away, I have one left that actually cares for the girls.

6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    mommarob - so glad to hear you got rid of the bad 'un and have a good rooster left. We got roosters last year - kept two from a hatch. The dominant rooster killed the junior, and then - well, let's just say he was over-amorous and tore my hens up. They started staying on the roost all day to prevent his attentions. Although he had been friendly as a youngster, once his hormones ramped up to full speed, he was a terror. After he had torn up my two favorite girls (also his favorites), he took to attacking my husband and daughter. He is no longer with us, and the hens are so much happier (also my husband and daughter).

No more roosters for us!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by