Rooster playing with fire

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frannabelle, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My bantam roo, who is a very good boy, has decided to attack my dogs whenever I put them out. They share a fenced in yard. My dogs are true angels, a labrador and a chesapeake. They have been living in harmony for over a year, but all of a sudden this roo is after them. To my dogs' credit, they try to get away from him, my lab ran away from him today, they do everything they can to avoid him, even when he's spurring them. I've gone out and chased him down, trying to re-establish some boundaries, but he just has an issue with dogs this spring. I've warned him he's playing with fire, especially with my Chessie. I don't know how long she'll put up with his abuse.

2. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Naughty BOY! Is he young? I noticed that my rooster was very friendly and personable in the fall and now that he a bit older he is a butthead. For some reason he likes to attack my girls (children not bird ). Does not by the way attack my son or me. He still loves me for some reason. My daughter was even feeding him for a long time and he still chases after her. Hasn't attacked the dogs yet....

Hopefully the dogs will give them a good back off growl before they bite..[​IMG]

3. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    He's a year and half old.....maybe Spring is just getting to him....so many girls, all day long to think about them, and some big hairy beast walks by them.....not being a Guy, I don't quite get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by