1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster? Please help... :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickgrl, Aug 4, 2013.

1. chickgrl

chickgrl Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Mesa Az.
    Good morning everyone,
    Need some help here,
    I picked up a young bird that I was told was a pullet. The poor thing has been pecked badly on it's hind end, lots of the feathers are gone. The wounds are older looking and she seems healthy. I haven't put her or the other two in the main coop yet I have only had them one day. She is not being pecked now. I was told that a rooster got her reason unknown.
    I am attaching a picture of her because I am thinking she is a rooster, but I don't know for sure. She is the one in the middle of the three pictured.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    [​IMG]
    I hope this can be seen clearly.
    Thanks again.
    Steph

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    It is too hard to see in that picture...can you get a close up of his/her face and a side view of the body? Also, how old are they supposed to be?

3. chickgrl

May 29, 2013
    Mesa Az.
    I was told the blonde one and the black and white one (barred rock) are 1 and a half to 2 years old, the one in question is supposed to be 2 weeks from laying from what he said, but he is wrong I'm pretty sure. :/
    Yes I will get a close up posted.

Thanks

4. chickgrl

May 29, 2013
    Mesa Az.
    Ok, Here is four of her,
    Still not sure your going to be able to tell, light is bad because of the sun shade over their yard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully better?
    Thanks

5. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    How old is she exactly? I think she's indeed a she, but I'm not always the best gender identifier. :'D What makes you think she might be a rooster, has she been displaying any rooster-like behavior?

6. chickgrl

May 29, 2013
    Mesa Az.
    I'm not sure exactly her age, I was told she is two weeks from laying so if most breeds start laying around 24 weeks? then she is approx 22 weeks old? From what I was told.
    I don't know what makes me think she is [​IMG] Maybe the tail feathers? The way they stand up? I'm not by any means an expert, I just love my chickens, My husband is worried about her being a rooster. She is not really showing signs of being one, I don't think I would know what those signs are until she woke me up.
    She has to be a girl, my husband won't let me keep a rooster. [​IMG]

7. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Definitely looks like a she :)

1 person likes this.
  8. chickgrl

May 29, 2013
    Mesa Az.
    REALLY??? omg! yes I hope soooo!
    Ok, then now I need to work on her pecked hind end.
    Anyone one else agree?
    He or she?

9. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    Ah, I understand. :) I've learned not to put much stock in tail feathers, since I've had girls with long standing ones and boys with droopy short ones. If she's indeed the age he claimed, then she's almost certainly a female. No wattles, small light colored comb, thin legs and no sign of spur growth. Hope that she's a hen so that you can keep her. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Oh yeah that's a hen. Some hens have tail feathers that just stick up I know some of my mixes do. Also what kind of comb does she have? Just curious. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by