1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster poll! Let's tally opinions!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChooksChick, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Benevolent provider behavior (food, H2O, distance)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The snuggly mommy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The BIG roo of the world

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Something combining the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    A conversation was begun earlier, and it brought up interesting points about what folks' experiences were with rooster personality and aggression (or lack thereof). Some feel one must dominate a roo and show dominant behavior to the extent of knocking them about and not allowing the roo to perform roosterly duties in their presence, while others coddle and nuzzle their boys (oh, okay, that's just me, but I'm simply illustrating the extremes).

This has been a conversation that waxes and wanes around BYC and the conversation has often degraded and been nuked for temper issues, as was the one earlier today (even though it was confusion, because I think they agreed with one another!). I'd like a bare examination of what everyone's experience has been regarding their roos, and though this is going to be very uber-simplified, you'll need to bear with the heart of it which in a poll fashion MUST be black and white.

So:

In your personal experience,

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have a great recipe for French Rooster Stew. It's either that or the roos go off to the auction. If I ever decide to keep a roo, it had better be nice. I think I am on the side that nature is stronger than nurture group.

3. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    I think most things work except for 'knocking him about'. [​IMG]
    You don't have to 'cuddle' with him if you don't want to, but make sure he knows he's not allowed to attack you or anyone else. [​IMG]
    It sure is fun to have a relationship with your rooster where you can actually pet him. I don't think pretty much any rooster is beyond hope.....nobody has to resort to the stew pot if they know what to do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    So far at age 14 weeks, my Roo Cogburn, has been docile...but doesn't like to be handled. He is clearly the "leader" with the hens, but he seems to accept me as the Alpha...I guess time will tell, but I keep the coop door locked and talk repeatedly to my son who is only allowed to go in with me or hubby, to not chase the hens, do not try to catch them, leave the rooster alone. He will try to protect his girls or himself from any perceived harm. He is pretty good with them...but the boy in him sometimes just can't resist to tempt fate...LOL BTW...my son is 14, but does have Down Syndrome and Autism. I watch him and the chickens very carefully.

5. AlbinoChicken

AlbinoChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Kauai
    I don't really know much about chickens, but i would really like to have a good sort of 'friendship' with my new rooster. So i say a combiation of the above. He should respect you and never be allowed to even try to attack you, but you should be able to be gentle and kind with him and actually have a tame rooster like i have tame hens. i don't think hurting would be good. i also dont want kill him. if i for some reason couldn't handle him, i'd find someone who could. [​IMG] i think yazzo's techniques in his/her thread a worth a lookie. also, roosterred has some pretty good info.....i shall be trying their techniques. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I am the alpha roo in my flock, but I never hit my rooster and never would. I don't coddle them as babies either.

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have only had one roo. He was a gentleman until he was 10months old--then he became a villian! Until that age, he would not approach us unless there were treats and then he would NEVER take anything from our hands. He moved to the side and would never offered to bother us.. Then one day, my dh (who is 6'7" and weighs 300+ lbs), went in to check the eggs and our roo 'hit' his boot --three quick times... DH said "did he just do what I think he did?" and went on about his business. The next day, our two yr old grandson and dh were playing in the yard and the roo charged the little one, kicked him sq. in the chest and flogged him. Dh grabbed him and threw him away from them.... A few days later he attacked me.. I chased him down and carried him around--squawking at the top of his lungs.. He never bothered me again but continued to charge our grandson. The final day was him hurting one of my pullets--she died.. He left --to never return.. He lives w/ about 50 hens in a huge barn and has the run of the horse pasture, well away from any small kids. The young men who own the horses are 17-24 and they love this rooster. He tried to attack one of them and they dunked him in the horse trough several times.. He has been a very good boy ever since!

8. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Can't speak from lots of experience as this is our first time with chickens, but our WC Polish roo, Monty, is (so far) a pretty good guy. He's young yet- 16 weeks- but he doesn't really bother me at all when I am in the coop, the run or watching them when they free range. He will take treats from my hand, and will let me pick him up and hold him. I won't let him even try to attack me, tho. If he ever does, he will get a gentle reminder that he just ain't gonna be allowed to do that. Other than that, I think he should be allowed to be a rooster, and do what a rooster does.

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Am I missing the link to the poll? Sorry, I've not participated in a poll before and not sure I'm looking in the right place.

We have 2 young roos who are 2 months old. They have been semi-handled since birth, but I do let them just kinda run around and be chickens. They are sweet and are GORGEOUS. They're half EE and half gamefowl. I have a little bit of a balance with them... I'm bigger, they're smaller, neener neener. I'm higher than them on the food chain and always have ingredients for marinade on hand. That being said, I hope I never have to implement that "I'm bigger, you're smaller, and I have a cleaver and a frying pan if you don't behave" rule. Hahahaha.

10. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I've only had one rooster. He was not coddled, but he was a kind of pet (in the sense he didn't lay eggs, but he wasn't soup). When he reached maturity he became aggressive. I used non-violent techniques to curb his aggression and reached an understanding of dominance that worked between us, but our truce never worked for my kids or visitors. He would be aggressive to everyone except me. I was faced with keeping him locked up all the time. The stress up being locked up while the hens were out was also taking it's toll on his temperament. We put him down before his spurs came in and he could do any real harm.

I have no idea what works. I'm sure it depends on the rooster and it's owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by