1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster possibly not fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flybybirds, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I have a year old Ameraucana Rooster. Seven hens. Recently one went Broody. We put what we thought were fertile eggs under her since she didn't lay any of her own. Checked them on day six and no sign of fertility in any of the eggs. I have visually seen him breed the hens. Could he not be fertile?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You should be able to see if your eggs are fertile by cracking a few eggs into a bowl. Just look for a bullseye looking spot on them. Bullseye=fertile egg

3. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I have some eggs that are refrigerated for use can I use them to see fertility?

4. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, once you cracked it open you shoul[​IMG]d see the little white bulls eye

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old is the roo in question?

I had a broody a few years back, so I let her sit on ten eggs fertilized by my six-month old Cochin roo. None hatched. No development at all in any of them. I concluded he was too immature to be fully fertile, and this is indeed the case with many of the larger breeds. They don't mature as soon as most standard size roosters.

But that white "bull's eye" won't lie. It's unmistakable, about a quarter inch in size on the yolk.

6. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    My Rooster is about a year old. I would think that is old enough but I really don't know. I will break a few of the eggs after they lay today and see if they look fertile.

7. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I saw the bulls eye in some eggs but not in all. He is doing his job but not covering three hens. Strange.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Not strange at all, for one-year old. Have you watched your rooster mate? It can be quite hilarious. My rooster took a good three years to perfect his technique. It requires perfect balance, the ability to get in just the right position, and the agility to stay long enough to hit the target. My roo would fall off more often than not, and there would be times when he would fall off the hen because he'd lost his balance, and ended up somersaulting over her head. Certainly not the most dignified action.

[​IMG]

9. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    That is hilarious. I have seen my rooster fall off. He just gets up and tries again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by