Rooster pretending to lay?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by catface, Aug 14, 2014.

1. catface

catface Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Kendall, Whatcom co.
    I have a year old English Orp rooster who I caught today in a nest box acting like a hen. He would scratch around in the bedding until he had a nice nest and then he'd squat there and cluck like he does when he's calling the girls for treats. The hens came running and watched him for a few minutes while he did this and then he got out of the box and went on like normal. Anyone ever see this before? I have no idea what he was doing.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some of them do "tend to" the nests. I suspect it is part of the protective urge, somehow, like saying this is a safe place to lay your egg.

3. catface

Jan 25, 2014
    Kendall, Whatcom co.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. He was obviously calling the girls to come see. He's never done this before though (that I know of) and I have 12 nest boxes. He was in one they never use.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Can I borrow him?! lol

I need someone to show my 5 girls that they have 4 nest boxes and do not need to fight over the same one .. maybe he can visit and show them how to use the others as well [​IMG]

5. catface

Jan 25, 2014
    Kendall, Whatcom co.
    Ha :) All my girls use the same 2 boxes no matter what. And I've got 14 hens right now! Maybe he's tired of them fighting over the same boxes.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

lol [​IMG]

True, he is probably sick of the squabbling; it is his way of saying "look, try this one, very nice!" [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This was amusing, but I wonder if it is also true. Part of his job is to keep the peace between his hens -- and he does sound like he is going to be a "good rooster," one who knows his job well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by