1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Problem!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shalynnbrothers, Mar 24, 2016.

1. shalynnbrothers

shalynnbrothers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    My husband and I bought 5 bantams as day old chicks. They are now 7 weeks old and 4 of them are roosters.

Silver Laced Sebright
    Porcelain D'Uccle
    Blue D'Uccle
    Millie Fleur D'Uccle

Our 1 pullet is a Partridge Cochin. We're having an extremely hard time deciding which roo to keep.

Does anyone have any experience or advice with roosters of these breeds to help make the decision easier?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I enjoy my d'uccle roosters, the Seabrights were too energetic. I currently have a bantam flock that's a mix of Cochin, d'uccle, and mixes from crossing the two. I am partial to the porcelain. I would keep the rooster that seems to want to take care of the hen. You may have to temporarily remove them all to see which one works better with her, by returning them one at a time.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Just in general, or with the hens? I've got one too young to sex yet, but s/he is absolutely hilarious. Threw a tantrum when I tried to move him to the bantam brooder...wanted to stay with the big kids! Since he's fast and agile, I let him stay--no one can catch him to pick on him!

1 person likes this.
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    One that I liked was good with the hens, he developed Mareks and we culled him, the other was a terror with the hens so he was culled too. I am wiser now and I pull trouble making roosters and pen them separately until they mature before I make those decisions now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Thank you for your thoughts! The choice was sort of made for us when shortly after I posted this our Sebright began targetting our runt Blue D'Uccle rooster whom is very sweet. Little Blue was ducking down and hiding behind all of the other chickens in the pin as the Sebright was chasing him, pecking him, and just flat out being a bully. We didn't relize how much trouble and commotion he caused until we sepparated him and saw how mellow and nicely the others got along without him. Needless to say, we found him a good new home over the weekend.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It good you found him such a quick home. I guess your was a bit too feisty too. I would keep removing any trouble makers, and eventually you will find the good ones. Maybe you could add a few more girls.

7. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA

That's exactly what we're doing!

We just got 8 new littles. They're only a week old right now, so they're still inside in the brooder (straight run again though, we'll see how many little girls we get).

The older 1 hen and 3 roos are out in the coop. We're delaying removing anymore roos until the littles catch up in size because we worry about there not being enough body heat at night in the coop if we remove the extra roos now.

Hoping it wont be too difficult when it's time to integrate the younger ones into the flock.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You might have a bit more troubles integrating because both groups are still kids, so expect to spend time playing referee, and separating them especially at first, just like real kids. Hoping you get lots of little hens.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by