Rooster problem

Ronnie2

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
Palestine, Texas
I have 1- 1-1/2 year old Buff Orpingtons rooster and three hens. Have another rooster that just getting to like the girls, and 2-more in the brooder pen. I will have 23 hens when the seven hens come out of the brooder, they will be 3-months old Nov. 1. The younger rooster is chasing the chickens, and pulling on their wings. They run away from his advances. Is this going to be a problem with 4-rooster in a 1,600 sq. foot covered run?

Usually it's ideal to separate young roosters until the pullets have matured as they can cause serious damage to them. Cockerels will also start competing and can injure the hens this way. Obviously I'm no expert and this is just my experience

Well, It might be a problem, and its always best to separate the roosters sometimes because I have 3 roosters and whenever they have the chance, they jump on the hens, ripping their feathers off.

You don't need four boys for 23 hens 2 will do for that many. You should definitely seperate the cockrels or that is all they are going to do is chase your pullets.Personally i would keep the older established rooster and pick one of the youngsters as a backup get rid of the rest. Space and the natural behavior of cockrels will give you alot of trouble otherwise.

You don't need four boys for 23 hens 2 will do for that many. You should definitely seperate the cockrels or that is all they are going to do is chase your pullets.Personally i would keep the older established rooster and pick one of the youngsters as a backup get rid of the rest. Space and the natural behavior of cockrels will give you alot of trouble otherwise.
Sounds like a good plan, will be separating the younger, cockeral to the separated brooder pen today, unless my other friends want him. The other two are only three months, so will wait and pick one for a back up. Thanks

Last edited:
IMO, a single male will suffice for the back yard flock no matter how many females. FYI, until they are a year old, they are called cockerels and pullets. After a year, they are called roosters, or cock birds and hens. Semantics, for sure, but there is a vast difference in the expectations for the behavior of a young inexperienced cockerel who is a boiling cauldron of testosterone, compared to a rooster who has his hormones balanced and has learned proper dating etiquette.

Unless you are producing chicks of several different breeds, you only need ONE male. The 1/10 ratio is to ensure optimum fertility in a breeding pen. My roo easily covers 24 hens.

For that matter, IMO, you should not even consider having a roo in your flock unless: you intend to breed your own chicks, you and your neighbors don't mind the crowing, you have lots of space and can free range at least part of the time, you have an exit plan for the extra birds produced, including the cockerels, and you are willing and able to cull any deformed or failure to thrive chicks that hatch in your flock.

You don't need four boys for 23 hens 2 will do for that many. You should definitely seperate the cockrels or that is all they are going to do is chase your pullets.Personally i would keep the older established rooster and pick one of the youngsters as a backup get rid of the rest. Space and the natural behavior of cockrels will give you alot of trouble otherwise.[/QU
Well, It might be a problem, and its always best to separate the roosters sometimes because I have 3 roosters and whenever they have the chance, they jump on the hens, ripping their feathers off.
IMO, a single male will suffice for the back yard flock no matter how many females. FYI, until they are a year old, they are called cockerels and pullets. After a year, they are called roosters, or cock birds and hens. Semantics, for sure, but there is a vast difference in the expectations for the behavior of a young inexperienced cockerel who is a boiling cauldron of testosterone, compared to a rooster who has his hormones balanced and has learned proper dating etiquette.

Unless you are producing chicks of several different breeds, you only need ONE male. The 1/10 ratio is to ensure optimum fertility in a breeding pen. My roo easily covers 24 hens.

For that matter, IMO, you should not even consider having a roo in your flock unless: you intend to breed your own chicks, you and your neighbors don't mind the crowing, you have lots of space and can free range at least part of the time, you have an exit plan for the extra birds produced, including the cockerels, and you are willing and able to cull any deformed or failure to thrive chicks that hatch in your flock

For that matter, IMO, you should not even consider having a roo in your flock unless: you intend to breed your own chicks, you and your neighbors don't mind the crowing, you have lots of space and can free range at least part of the time, you have an exit plan for the extra birds produced, including the cockerels, and you are willing and able to cull any deformed or failure to thrive chicks that hatch in your flock.

Since I have now been informed, I have 1-rooster, & three cockerels, I will try to find homes for the extra cockerals, if not, they will be going into the pot

Back
Top Bottom