Rooster problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gapeachy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I have my dominique rooster Hank ..he has been the only rooster around well we had to cull his hens so when the RIR hens got older he claimed them...well the RIR rooster is now old enough to be a rooster and hank beats up on him all the time...runs him all around the yard and when he tries to top a hen hanks beats on him....and at night they all go in the barn to roost and hank will roost high and when the RIR comes in the barn hank jumps off and runs him out...I thought they would get along...my only choice has been to lock the RIR roo up with the hens and let hank roam free....any other options???

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Probably make your life easier if you found a new home for one of the roosters, they will only get worse, not better.

You can keep them separated, but that gets to be a hassle.

Have you got enough hens that each could have his own flock?

3. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I have 11 rir hens ....2 barred rock hens 1 sexlink I can put the barred rock hens and sexlink with the dominique roo untill the 2 dominque hens I have for him grows up...

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

their being roo's [​IMG] , and they will do this for a while. Hank is alpha, and he's stressing that. it isnt usually bad till their both breeding age,as you have seen lol,, least their being civilized about it and there isnt half hanging combs yet. you will probably always have to have them separated,, if they were free range it wouldnt be as bad, but when in the same pen,, well, boys will be boys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by