Rooster problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensitter1, Feb 1, 2012.

1. chickensitter1

chickensitter1 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    I am house and chicken sitting for a couple in Minnesota. The 25 chickens are doing well. I noticed about a week ago that the one lone rooster looks as if he is being picked on. His tail feathers are almost completely gone. I have been keeping a close eye on him and applied pinetar to his back, per owner request. It now looks as if it is getting worse further up his back and now onto one wing. His wing looks as if there is an open sore. I am unsure if the chickens are just going further up because of the pinetar on his lower back or if there is something else wrong. Can anyone help me?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Do have any way to isolate him so if he is getting picked on it can be prevented for a while? I will usually spray blukote on any pecked areas especially if they're red or bleeding. Any open wound will attract the other chickens and they'll peck him to death.

3. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Deffinetly try to isolate him and let him heal.

4. chickensitter1

chickensitter1 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    I am not sure where I could put him. I am worried that it is going to continue to get worse until the owners of the chickens come home at the end of this month. The one owner believes that the pinetar will keep him from getting picked at. I feel unless I dip the rooster in it, I think the chickens will keep finding a spot that hasn't had pinetar applied and keep picking at him. I am worried.

5. chickensitter1

chickensitter1 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    What is blukote? Can I get it at the feed store? I will be over there to pick up supplies this weekend.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Does the owner have a dog crate anywhere? I say isolate him so he doesn't perish until the owners get home and take care of the situation.

7. chickensitter1

chickensitter1 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm sure I could find one. Would I put him in the coop in the kennel or completely isolate from the chickens elsewhere for a few days? I have to do something before he gets really hurt. The owner, Don, loves this darn crooked beaked rooster. He loves him so much that he got rid of all other roosters because they were picking on him. This is my first time taking care of chickens and I have become quite fond of all of them. I hardly slept last night from worrying so much. I paid them a visit, 5 miles from the house at 3 a.m. this morning just to make sure everything was ok. Sheesh!

1 person likes this.
  8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's wonderful! Wish I had a chicken-sitter like you! :p

I would take him inside the house in the kennel. He may get stressed out seeing his girls, but not being able to get to them. Better to keep him warm and quiet.

How is the weather there? If he has open wounds, and it is as cold as it is here, you definitely need to bring him inside. He most likely won't crow in a new place straight away. I would give him some boiled/scrambled eggs for protein. It's best to monitor his behaviour as well. Let us know if anything else seems off.

Chickens can kill a wounded chicken because the blood draws them into a frenzy.

Maybe take some pictures and post it here, so we can tell you if it could be something else other than feather picking. The owner didn't mention anything like moulting, did he?

9. chickensitter1

chickensitter1 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Thank you! That is very nice of you to say! My kids love them also. They named all of them and now can't figure out who they named what, except for the Rooster, lovingly named Don (after the owner)! haha

I was wondering if he'd lose it being able to see, but not "visit" with his ladies. You know how men are! :)

The weather has been great here. We haven't really had winter yet. Last year at this time we had somewherin the range of 60 inches of snow. I think we are at about 8 inches this winter. It'll be in the 30's through the weekend. The chicken coop stays at about 45-50 degrees. I tuck them all in at sunset.

I will head out to feed, water and fluff up their bedding this afternoon. I will try to post pictures this evening after work.

Don said nothing about molting. I did research pictures online. I think that could be part of it, but it doesn't explain what looks to be a sore on his back and a new one on his wing yesterday.

10. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    You should be able to pick up a can of blukote at the feed store - it's an antiseptic spray that's kind of a purply blue color. Masks the "red" and keeps it from getting infected at the same time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by