1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster problems help me keep my boys!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, Nov 25, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hey,
    So I went from no rooster in my flock to two roosters in two flocks. I have a beautiful breeding flock of LF black Ameraucana and my Cockeral was amazing!! the perfect suburban rooster he crows for 30 mins a day after 8 am. He is kind to his ladies and is very polite and quite. SO I figured it would be alright to get a Bantam Blue Salmon Favrolle and a flock of beauitful ladies. Well here comes the problems!! He has been at my house for 4 days now with his amazing ladies. He is a little stud and is absolutly so handsome and beautiful BUT he crows all day every day and has changed the behavior of my LF boy to. I keep him in the shed at night so he doesn't wake anyone up to early in the morning. But this boy is intent of creating a problem he only stops for a few hours in the afternoon. My suburban neighbors and parents were fine with the LF boy because he was quite. The new bantam boy is in competition with the LF boy even though they are in separate coops and they boy go back and fourth crowing all day. I have been given a mandate either he quites down or I get rid of him [​IMG] . I want this boys so badly and he is amazing!!! I can't piss the neighbors off though or all the chickens are in danger of going because my parents are sensative to what the neighborhood thinks. So help me out do you have any suggestion on how to keep him quite. Will he settle in? The LF boy is still not that bad but this little guy is impressively loud. Any suggestion from Suburban rooster keepers? how do you keep your birds quite?

Here are the boys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Henry

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    wow, i'd love to take the bantam SF off your hands. but unfortunately i had one that did the same thing with the constant crowing. he even figured how to get up to the window sill and sit perfectly by the screen so he could crow louder to get my attention in the mornings.

he would only stop crowing when he got what he wanted-treats! once i left and they were gone he would start in again! my bantam polish isn't like that at all and my cochin doesn't seem to be too loud since i insulated the coop for the sound and i put him in a dog crate at night with a blanket over it to keep him from waking up too early.

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Chickie'sMoma :

wow, i'd love to take the bantam SF off your hands. but unfortunately i had one that did the same thing with the constant crowing. he even figured how to get up to the window sill and sit perfectly by the screen so he could crow louder to get my attention in the mornings.

he would only stop crowing when he got what he wanted-treats! once i left and they were gone he would start in again! my bantam polish isn't like that at all and my cochin doesn't seem to be too loud since i insulated the coop for the sound and i put him in a dog crate at night with a blanket over it to keep him from waking up too early.

I think maybe the big old crate in the shed is where he is headed for a while. He doesn't want treats he wants to let the LF rooster know he is there [​IMG] Well hope someone has some ideas he is going to have to go after thanksgiving if he keeps it up.

Henry​

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I might be able to keep him through the winter but then he would have to go when it gets warm and peoples windows are open do you think he would be able to change? Do you think its cruel to keep him and two bantam girls in a large dog crate with clean shaving and food and water for half the day? I don't think thats any diffrent then being in a cage or pen indoors which most show chickens are in the crate is at least 4x3.

Thanks,
    Henry

5. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i actually have a 3'x8' pen in my basement that i had been using as a large brooder pen for mine but now it is used for one of my bantam polish cockerel who is my house pet and hardly crows (just doesn't get along with any other birds, but too sweet to me to give away.)

the dog crate is just a nighttime thing for my bantam cochin who is in my garage coop with the girls. my garage is so close to the neighbor's house that i had sectioned off a part near the back and close to our side of the garage so it had a buffer zone. i used quilt batting to line the walls but used some corrugated plastic panels to use as windows and covered those with some thick curtains to help to buffer the sound in the morning, i open them during the day. they have a light going in there when it gets dark, and they have a window facing to the outside so they get some natural light in there too. that coop is 8'x10' and i've let them out into the rest of the garage when i get home in the afternoons to run around and check things out.

the neighbors haven't complained yet and it has been a month since he went out there.

you might want to get a very large crate/cage for them. if it is just the rooster a medium dog crate seems to be fine for nighttime use. if i remember right you should give each bantam about 2-3 square feet in floor space.

my cochin is actually crate trained to go in at night when i tell him. just wish he would close the door and pull the blanket over himself when he does it! [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I just had to rehome two roos. Sad day here because son of Mahonri REALLY wanted to keep them, BUT...they were in constant competition with crowing... starting at 3:30AM and throughout the day.

I kept the GC Maran and the Blue Wheaten. I think they will both quiet down now that the other two are gone.

7. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    it might not reform the faverolles roo for some time. having the other roo around can keep them crowing just to proclaim that this is his group of girls, at all times!

8. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I don't know much about roosters - this is the first time I've had one - let alone two! I have them both in the henhouse with the flock of hens. I figured they would fight, but they didn't. They studiously ignore each other - which is odd because "Big Daddy" is easily three times the size of "One-Eyed Jack." [​IMG]

Jack doesn't crow much. Big Daddy starts crowing long before sunrise. Fortunately, I live in the country and my nearest neighbors are too far away to care. They love the crowing when they do hear it.

However - what I was wondering - is it possible that after they've been around one another longer they will settle down?

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks guys thats not so incouraging [​IMG] But I guess we will just have to see what happens when I get home from vacation.

Thanks,
    Henry

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ok So I am going to try and make it work as well as I can and maybe hatch a dozen or so eggs out before I have to get rid of him. This means I probably won't have any hatching eggs for sale for a while. This boy just has a bit to much bravado. We will see when I get home I am in Florida now with my family and a neighbor is looking after the chickens.

Thanks,
    Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by