Rooster problems HELP

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sdm1908, Jul 30, 2014.

1. sdm1908

sdm1908 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Florida, USA
    I have a flock of 4 and my young rhode island and barred rock baby roo (he's about 4 weeks old now) has been causing a lot of problems! First he'll see my girl Sophia (she's a 3 month old leghorn) and just start flying on top of her, then Sophia will get all upset and SIT ON TOP OF HIM. I'm really worried. Initially we had lost Sophia and then found her and reintroduced her to the flock and ever since then our baby roo (king Louie) has been having problems. Someone please help! I didn't want a rooster first of all and now I may have to return him, but I hate having only 3 birds in the flock!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Unless you are extremely fond of this rooster I would return him. Or if you really want to keep him get more hens as three hens is not enough with a rooster. 10 to 12 hens per rooster is best so that none of them get to much "attention" from him. Although even then it can happen. As for this boys current behavior? Who knows. You could try separating him for a few days and then let him back in with them, see if he forgets about whatever is in that pea brain of his that's making him go after her.

1 person likes this.
  3. sdm1908

Jun 15, 2014
    Florida, USA
    I think I'm going to return him, the only thing is my flock has 2 three month old pullets, and 2 three week old chicks (one of them being the roo.)
    If I introduce a new chick into the flock in two weeks or so, will the other chickens beat her up?

4. cafarmgirl

5 weeks old is awfully small to be put in with birds that will then be about 4 months old, I wouldn't do it. It would be best to keep the youngster alongside the older birds but separated by a fence until it is the same size as them. If there's any way of getting another bird it's age I'd do so. Integrating a single new bird is always hard, especially in a small flock. Two or more makes it a little easier.

5. sdm1908

Jun 15, 2014
    Florida, USA

I can't separate the smaller ones unfortunately
    Can I intergrate two 4 week olds with one other 4 week old and 2 three month olds?

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    no, these are recipes for disasters.

Chickens that are strangers to each other, need to be of similar size, especially if you are introducing a small number.

These are chicken rules, and there is no such thing as nice chickens to strange chickens.

If you can't separate them, then return both chicks and get some similar sized birds as your older birds.

Introducing the single 4 week bird, will probably result in death of that chick. Everyone else won't like her. The other two 4 week old won't like her, and the older birds won't like her.

The older birds will pick on the younger birds, and the younger bird will pick on the stranger....... Not a good flock.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  7. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Yes I agree...too young to add into flock. I integrated mine at 8-10 weeks, and I had them in separate coops to start just to make the transition easier. The rooster seems so young to do this too. Mine didn't do that until he was like 6 months old! But I guess every flock is different. I hope everything works out!

8. sdm1908

Jun 15, 2014
    Florida, USA
    So should I just return the too and only have 3?!
    I honestly have no place to separate them!

9. sdm1908

Jun 15, 2014
    Florida, USA
    *roo

10. cafarmgirl

There's certainly nothing wrong with having only three instead of four. The roosters behavior, at 4 weeks old, may just be pecking order issues. Maybe. At four weeks old his hormones sure haven't kicked in yet. It's up to you what you decide to do with them obviously. You can keep him and see if things settle down with time. Although no matter what, you have too few hens for him once he is mature and breeding. And even if you get rid of him you will still have the issue of trying to integrate that single four week old pullet with the 3 month old birds. This is likely to be difficult no matter how you go about it. Especially if you have them in a small coop/run. Any kind of temporary enclosure next to the older birds where she can hang out during the day so they can see each other through the fence for a few weeks, until she's older, would help a great deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by