Rooster Problems...

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
my 3 month roo, Cookie, is terrified of being outside his coop. the rest of my free range flock, including the 3 other roosters love the outdoors. this morning, i opened the door, and my chickens ran out. Cookie however, ran to hide under the coop. i sprinkled some oyster shells and scratch on the ground, but Cookie would still not come out. i finally got him to come out by grabbing him and pulling him out from under the coop. my clumsy little Cookie still seemed horrified. after, i brought him to the rest of the flock. he seemed a little happier and more calmed down. he is currently pecking at a pine branch. he is happy now, but i want to find a way for Cookie to come out on his own and not be afraid. (he is a roo after all) the first time i brought them out, my dog, Gus, came walking toward the racket. he loves chickens to be his friends, not to eat them. Cookie was the first to run from Gus. meanwhile, the other roos signaled for the hens to run. after, they ran too. all the while, Gus just sat there. that is why he is terrified to leave the coop, but terrified to be left alone. i want to know how to teach him to not be afraid.
thanks!
~Chickensfan.

I'm introducing younger birds into the general population of the coop quite often and I've found lots of time and patience work best with the timid birds. They eventually get enough confidence in going outdoors on their own and learn to function outside with everyone else. I've tried forcing them...but they seem to do best doing it at their own pace.

I have one tiny bird who only goes a few feet out the door to bask in the sunlight or she's in the coop. She's not even a timid one, but that's as far as she's ever gone...lol. I've never forced her farther...she seems happy in her little world.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom