Rooster problems....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ch1ckenmama, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ch1ckenmama

ch1ckenmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    This past spring, we had 2 roosters show up on our property. They never left for over a month. We introduced them slowly to our hens and they all got along great. Before we let them all sleep in the coop, one rooster got taken by something. We then let the other be with our hens and they have been doing great.
    Problem is.....when the snow came and they didnt want to leave the coop, the rooster has started to attack us. He goes after my husband everytime he is tending to the coop. He had left me alone until last night. He has become very aggressive. Im guessing because they are "cooped up". We really dont need to have him because our run is a covered run. We have way too many cyotes and other preditors for the chickens. If I do let the free range, it is only when we are out at the barn to watch them. We only brought him on becuase we didnt want something to get him. Wanted to give him a chance.
    My question is, what is the best thing to do with the rooster? We have given him a fair chance but we cant be afraid to get attacked evertime we go out to the coop. He seems to be getting worse.
    Thanks for your help!!!!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Invite him to dinner...

1 person likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

^^^ This.

4. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    @junebuggena That is kinda what we were thinking.

5. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    @bobbi-j That is what the hubby said. Wanted to see if there was anything else we could do but I had a feeling this was probably the best answer

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Once a rooster gets it into his head that he can exert dominance over humans, it is very unlikely that anything will change his mind. The older he gets, the longer the spurs grow. Attacks could result in serious injury. Simply not worth the risk.
    Plus, the mean ones always taste the best.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yeah....He is protecting the Hens and once they start acting like that it is only going to get worse......Cull him.....Sorry...Best thing to do...

Cheers!

8. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    @chickensreally Yeah, I hate to do it but I think it is the best thing to do. It is only getting worse. We never had to Cull a chicken yet. I know my husband will be fine with it. I just feel bad but know it is probably best.

9. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    @junebuggena I hate to do it but I know it will be for the better. Thanks for the infomation and helping me!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You gave him a chance. He's totally blown it.

Mean roosters taste better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by