1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Problems!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by katelk, Oct 16, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I am overrun with roosters from a hatch a few months ago.
    My permanent roosters include a silkie mix and an English Orpington. These 2 boys have always gotten along great.
    Now I have 3 new roosters. 2 Orpington and one silkie mix. The silkie mix is "sold" to a friend who is in the (slooooow) process of building a coop, so I am having to deal with holding onto that one until Lord knows when. Then I had planned on keeping one of the Orp Roos for breeding purposes. He turned out with amazing coloring and a great temperament. At this point, I have 1 too many Roos, but can't do anything ab it.

The other Orp roo is a total *******. He will attack the hens for food, has flogged me, etc. I despise him. I have been trying to give him away, but no takers. I have been planning on putting him in the pot, but he isn't even crowing yet. I have no idea if he is ready for slaughter. He isn't trying to mate, not crowing, so I assume he has not matured yet. At what point will he be good for meat? He is a Buff Orpington/English Orpington combo. I am planning on moving him out of the flock to a large kennel tonight so at least his reign of terror will cease til he is dealt with.

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I usually send my roos to freezer camp at about 16-20 weeks old. They may not be that big but they make a mean pot of dumplins or noodle soup. I grew out a black australorp and a barred rock for a year. They looked really big running around but it musta been all feathers because they were only 3 lbs dressed out. I didn't gain anything for all that extra feed. And they ate A LOT of feed and corn.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Should have been more specific. They were 3 lb apiece not total.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd isolate him until you are ready to eat him. You and your other birds are being stressed for no good reason. Too many cockrels in the group is not a good thing. Consider a separate pen for those extra cockrels, and protect your main flock. Mary

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you dislike him that much, and he's attacking you, go ahead and process him now. You may not get much meat, but you'll get some, and some good broth. The smaller carcass will be offset by the lack of resentment, caring for an animal you actively dislike. No meal would be worth me keeping a bird that attacked.

I'd also give the friend a deadline and advertise the silkie mix. Either sell or process him, also. Your friend needs to poop or get off the pot.

6. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I isolated him this evening so he is still "with" the flock, but with a fence between. I have just been too nice and given him too many chances to check his attitude. Lol as soon as I threw him in the kennel it's like a weight was lifted. I may end up at least waiting til I get a crow out of him before processing now that he can't bully anyone. He will also be the first bird I have ever processed and I have been dreading it, so he is just making it easier for me by being a jerk lol.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mean roosters taste ever so much better than the nice once [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by