Rooster Problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by David797, Mar 7, 2015.

1. David797

David797 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    Hey guys, so for the past month or so there has been a pair of roaming roosters (there seems to be no owner as they just wander around and seem desperate for food) in and around my neighbourhood and today I wake up to find them in my backyard with the flock. Crowing and mating with my hens are the main concerns. I don't want to raise chicks (HSC this year) and I don't want my hens going broody. Any suggestions on what to do?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    The collar won't stop them from mating. It does work on noise, as I has observed with my rooster. Can't you catch them?

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I would be more worried that they were carrying any pathogens, but since they've already made contact with your flock, that point is past. I wasn't aware that roosters could make hens go broody and if you collect the eggs as usual you won't have to worry about chicks.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Mating will not cause broodiness - a hen that is going to go broody will do so whether or not there is even a rooster present - and you can easily avoid hatching chicks by gathering eggs daily. The concerns are bio-security (a moot point at this point given they have been with your flock) and, if you do decide to let them stay, whether or not you are able to support and house the two roosters in your current setup. How many hens do you have? Are your accommodations appropriate for the addition of birds?
    If you do not wish to have the roosters it would be best to capture, contain and re-home them (whether to a home-home or the stew pot.

5. David797

Dec 25, 2014
    Nope, they're not used to me enough and run away when I approach. I can try at night though.

6. David797

Dec 25, 2014
    Don't really have any housing at night for them but they seem to prefer to either roost on the trees or behind my mango tree and the fence. i let my chickens free range in my backyard so space isn't a problem. But I honestly don't know anyone who will be willing to take two roosters though and I'm not all that keen on keeping them due to the complications with feeding them layer pellets. Could just swap to grower pellets and provide calcium for the hens but can't seem to find a suitable product (most grower pellets I come across are medicated).

7. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    There is no issue (that I'm aware of) of roosters not being able to eat layer pellets. They would be fine on layer.

8. David797

Dec 25, 2014
    Hm, interesting. thanks

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Mr. Hatchet takes care of my rooster problems.

10. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    If there as brazen as they sound they could be really good protectors f your flock. Can you post pics? What breed are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by