1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster processing age?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by piper2009, Aug 14, 2010.

1. piper2009

piper2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm curious how old do non meat breed roos need to be in order to be
    processed, we have a few extra.

Also they are 9 weeks old, and are on starter grower, do I need to put them on meat raiser feed?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I wouldnt change food at all but let them grow out to at least 14 weeks-I just processed 4 12 weekers and there wasnt much to them:-(

3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i would let them go 16-20 weeks. as far as feed, what specific protein %s are we talking here? i would have them on something w/ a 20-21% right now.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I just did some at 19 weeks, and they were about 3 3/4 pounds. A nice meal. Much after 20 weeks, and the meat gets a little tough if you don't crock pot it.

5. piper2009

piper2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    eKo_Birdies, I don't know what % protein they are getting. They are on Purina Starter Grower.

6. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    hmm... i'm really unfamiliar w/ purina poultry products, as i feed custom milled feed. maybe the info is on the bag? i dunno?

ETA from what i could find i think the protein is 22%. i would say you are fine leaving them on that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Interesting. I change my dual purpose chicks over to grower (16% I think) at 8 weeks and notice a big growth spurt. Don't know why, don't care why. Could be cause that's when they can start wandering about the yard, too.

I process when they start crowing to much and become irritating. Once I have decided who is going they do and I process a few at a time. I don't mind having a small Roo per person or for 2 people. Usually I start processing at 14 weeks and am done deciding by the time they are 17-18 weeks old, but not always. That way their meat is still mild flavored and tender too.

Mature Roos are not that tasty. No matter how long you cook them. If you do process mature older Roos, soak them in buttermilk to take some of the wildness from the flavor and it does tenderize them also.

8. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:good to know!!!! if the growth is good....it's worth it to try that route... sure is less expensive.

this is a matter of taste preference. [​IMG] although, there is nothing wrong w/ a buttermilk marinade!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  9. Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    My extra roo's go to freezer camp at 16 to 20 weeks.

I don't find any difference in flavor roo or hen they all taste good!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Five months for us - Japanese Bantams. they don't get any bigger after 5 months and it's just about the time they start bothering everybody.
    I've never noticed the difference in meat from cockerel or hen.

Mmmmm Tasty Chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by