Rooster producing only male offspring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rinnley, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Rinnley

Rinnley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Vancouver Island
    Our roo has sired a number of chicks, while most were killed on mass by a viscous cat, the all appeared to be developing into roo's. Since then more have hatched, 3 out of four were boys and the "hen" is developing a worrisome tail. I know is possible for a human man to only make XX children. Is it possible for a roo to sire only male offspring? He is a dominique/java mating with mostly malay/java hens.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Avian sex chromosomes are different than people and other mammals. The ovum determines the sex of the chick. Roosters are ZZ and hens are ZW. So it is not your rooster's fault you are getting a lot of cockerels.

EDIT: wrote a word wrong.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  3. Rinnley

Rinnley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Vancouver Island
    That makes so much sense, the little i had seen about chicken genes seemed to be totally backwards, almost as thought the females had the "xy" or mismatched chromosome. ZW, makes everything clear. Perhaps we will try hatching more of our australorps eggs under the terminally broody hens. Thanks so much!

4. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Thanks for the info! I wondered how it worked!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can post pics of them on the What Breed or Gender section to confirm genders if you like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by