Rooster promblem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jose408, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jose408

jose408 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    san jose california
    Okay,guys i have this rooster he is 6 1/2 month old and he is a Old English Game Rooster he was cage Since he was 4 or 3 Months old so i can tame him but that never happen.Than today i put a chicken in his small cage and try to step on her but than he try onece and didnt get it but than he ran away and was scared and now i put him with all the hen and he scared of all of them i dont know what to do with him or how to fix his promblem

Thanks BYC

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Give him some time. It will take a few days AT LEAST before the girls accept him, and he figures out that he IS a chicken.

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Reminds me of my own adolescence.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    ah, to be young and dumb...

5. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:And locked in a cage with women.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Amen![​IMG]

7. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL

[​IMG]

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Give him a week or 2 with the hens, they'll sort things out naturally.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA

Gives new perspective to the phrase "hen pecked" [​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I had the same problem with my baby rooster. He was the only one that hatched from a batch of eggs i got online. The youngest chicks I had were weeks older than him and more agressive too. I just kept him alone until he was three months old because there was no other bird his age to socialize with.

Well, finally I HAD to do something so I put him in a smaller cage in the middle of all the other birds I was trying to mix him with. It took almost three weeks for the other birds to quit trying to pick on him through the wire. Then I chose the most docile hen and put her in with him, then another. Then I let him out, and the three bullies that would not leave him alone, now THEY are in the little cage and he is doing fine with the group, including another cockerel. In time I will let the other hens out when he has gained more confidence and social skills, maybe not even until I see him trying to breed pullets. THEN I will let the two mean girls loose. The mean boy, he will not be let loose with that cockerel. No need to do that. Eventually when the girls begin to lay or look like they may lay, I will pull out the other docile cockerel as well, as for now, I only want the mille fleur breeding the mottled girls. I will use the other two when I want to make more pure mottled, or if the two bad girls stay rotten, they can stay with their cellmate and raise purebreds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by