Rooster Pros/Cons

Chicken-Maniac

Songster
May 13, 2021
Hey, there chicken people of the world! Lately I've been wanting a rooster to add to our flock. My only problem is convincing my parents to get one. I want one to help protect our small flock(we had a hawk come visit us not to long ago). What should I say to them to get a rooster? Pros? Cons? What breed are nicest?
Thank you!:D:thumbsup

Hey, there chicken people of the world! Lately I've been wanting a rooster to add to our flock. My only problem is convincing my parents to get one. I want one to help protect our small flock(we had a hawk come visit us not to long ago). What should I say to them to get a rooster? Pros? Cons? What breed are nicest?
Thank you!:D:thumbsup
Pro:
Protects Flock
Prevents Hens From Fighting
Fertile Eggs
Relaxed Hens (Which Equals More Eggs)
Alarm Clock

i don’t see any cons because I love my roosters and they are all friendly, I guess the only con (for me) is if the rooster is aggressive

Rooster Breeds I Suggest:
Wyandotte
Speckled Sussex
Australorp
EE

Pro:
Protects Flock
Prevents Hens From Fighting
Fertile Eggs
Relaxed Hens (Which Equals More Eggs)
Alarm Clock

i don’t see any cons because I love my roosters and they are all friendly, I guess the only con (for me) is if the rooster is aggressive

Rooster Breeds I Suggest:
Wyandotte
Speckled Sussex
Australorp
EE
Thank you! I was also think of a Speckled Sussex rooster :lol:
I'm one step closer to getting the perfect rooster:)

I have four Speckled Sussex and four Buckeyes
Speckled Sussex Rooster would be perfect :)
CC95249C-9C09-4D01-BB9D-E554C567389C.jpeg

A rooster can be taken by a hawk, too.

Choosing a breed does not mean that the rooster will or won't be aggressive. They're all individuals. My rooster is great. He protects the hens, sounds the alarm when needed (and also when things flap on the clothesline!), fertilizes the eggs, calls the hens for food, and appreciates having his feathers stroked. He's a Leghorn, but other Leghorn roosters can be a real pain. Some breeds tend to be easier to live with than others, but there are no guarantees.

Back
Top Bottom