Rooster pros/cons...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by teach1rusl, Sep 15, 2009.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My question spans a couple topics, so sorry if it's in the wrong place...

I've read lots of posts about how nasty/mean roosters can be (one of the reasons I'd originally decided NOT to get a rooster). But then I read certain posts that talk about how roosters go a long way toward trying to protect their flocks.

Is there a certain breed or type of rooster that's inclined to be calmer, easier going...or even friendly??? My DH and I are still weighing the pros/cons of getting one.

2. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    I've never owned a Buff Orpington rooster, but I used to have some hens and I know that they are usually a friendlier breed. Also, I have an Americauna rooster and he's not aggressive.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I asked the same question a while back. I was told Buff Orps, Light Brahma's and Australorps tend to be more docile roosters.

But no guarantees, every one is an individual.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have a few (3) Buff Orpington Roos. The only time they have shown any aggression is when they think one of the hens is in danger. The other night I picked up one of my BO hens, and she made a sound that told me she didn't want picked up. As soon as she bawked, one of the rooster (The one at the top of the pecking order) charged me. He stopped when he got to me, and he didn't do anything but stand at my feet, look up at me as to say "what are doing to my girl. So I wouldn't say he was aggresive, just looking out for his girls. If I pick up a hen, and she makes no noise, he doesn't do anything. With any breed you're going to get some bad apples. On my farm, they go straight to freezer camp. Roos are usually easy to come by, so I don't loose any sleep if one is showing unnecessary aggresion and has to be culled.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Okay...so Buff Orps or Easter Eggers (aren't most EEs Americaunas??) tend toward the friendlier side...that's good to know. Any other suggestions out there??

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Like someone else said, they're all individuals. I say choose a rooster based on what you want out of breeding and worry about the temperament as it comes -- just be sure beforehand you're okay with the possibility of a cull. [​IMG]

Above all be stringent on the rules from day one. Put anything he does that you're inclined to think is "cute" into the perspective of him doing it at maturity... and with spurs. If it won't be acceptable for a grown rooster, it's not acceptable for a chick or cockeral.

7. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    regarding easter eggers...they are not the same as americana or even aracana. Each is a distinct breed. The term is used for any bird that layes a colored egg (blue or green) mutts and all. Americanas do have a more easy going temperment in general.

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have lots of roosters.None are mean or they would be dinner [​IMG].We have several leghorns and Minorca's which are the more flighty type.We also have Delaware's Jersey Giants, Australorps,EE's, RIR,RIW and I'm sure I'm missing a few.
    My roosters all live together in a bachelor pad and must get along with all people including our kids and must get along with each other..those are the rules of the pad and they know it.[​IMG]

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My wonderful rooster is a Cuckoo Marans. I researched a bit and found they are usually all as sweet as mine is.

My Rhode Island Red, on the other hand, has been rehomed! Actually, to be fair, he was ok with humans, but too rough on the hens.

Good luck!

10. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Partridge Rock. He's wonderful! He's never once been aggressive toward me or my children. He takes great care of his 6 hens. But, EVERY rooster is different. Maybe you want to get a mature rooster from someone who can tell you about his temperament. Here's a pic of my roo:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by