Rooster puffed up and closing eyes alot!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brijay2, Jan 22, 2012.

1. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    I have a rooster that I purchased from a reputable breeder and his is a size b serama. He is fully grown and proven fertile before my purchase. He has been with us for about 3 weeks and is now closing his eyes and puffing up his chest during the day. It's as if he doesn't get any sleep at night. He opens his eyes to eat and drink and walks around for a few minutes and then closes his eyes and puffs up his chest. He is not gasping, no foul smell or watery or swollen eyes and appears healthy otherwise. I don't know what to think. Is he depressed?[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    could be that he's depressed, he may have also picked up some new bug at your place.

I'd isolate and watch and be ready to give meds.

3. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Check for mites... has he been dewormed at all? Does he have any respiratory issues?
    By what you are saying, that is a classic example of something wrong... lethargic and puffy. I just don't think it could be depression IMO. He's a rooster with alot of hens for heavens sake [​IMG]

4. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    No respiratory issues at all, have handled him frequently and have not seen any mites. I added GSE to their water as a precaution. None of the hens he is with have shown any issues. Could he have a cold? He is fully feathered but he is the protector of the hens and sees to their comfort before his.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by