rooster quarantine is over!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WthrLady, Jan 12, 2015.

1. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    For the past four days we've been leaving his coop door open all day. The girls were in their coop/run/outdoor closed off area. They could all talk to each other through the fence. And if he wanted to he could wander the acreage or go to his place for a nap. He spent all day outside chatting, scratching, dust bathing, strutting and eating.

Yesterday was warm, well warmer...35*, and we had a ton of work to do outside so that is when I let the girls out to play in the meadow. So I took a deep breath, rooster was already out on patrol, opened to door........ and Whoosh! out shot the girls, just like a normal day. They looked at the rooster, nodded, and went about looking for bugs.

The rooster wandered into their run, took one look at the five star hotel they are living in and I'm sure was composing a letter to the manager of his dump. He dipped into the heated water bowl, snagged food from the dish, and then noticed the little princesses had an attached suite. Into the coop he went. I swear I actually heard him say, 'holy crap!' Then he checked out the uncovered run and started kicking through the hay. Not being able to find the remote for the big screen TV he was sure the girls were hiding from him, he joined the girls in the meadow looking for bugs. 5 hours they did that before they wandered home to their own pads for naps.

Today I opened up, and left open his coop. He did his patrols and went back to bed. This is the girl's morning routine as well.

This afternoon the wind kicked up and temps dropped. I took them afternoon feed for night time warm bellies, but I was too cold to chase the rooster from the girl's place. Again, I took a deep breath and closed the coop/ run door. It's the first time they've been shut in the same place. After 20 minutes, I sent the boy to check on them. They are ALL sleeping on the same Branch perch in the run.

I have no idea if he is sleeping with the ladies tonight or not.

Lol.

Real temp will be -8, so an extra snuggle buddy would be nice.

Thanks to EVERYONE who held my hand for and during the quarantine.

I love this site!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sounds like all is well with roo and his harem.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Glad it went well.
    I been raising stinkin backyard chickens for over 40 years and never tire of watching them conduct their daily lives.

4. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Well the 'red light time' of the evening came, that dusky twilight with a hint of red tones that send the hens to their roost, and off they ALL went to bed! It was a tad noisy as everyone jockeyed for a new space, but after 5 minutes all the noise stopped. son check on them, and they are fine.

Now the baby monitor is quiet.

Sleeping.

Almost sad in a way.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Congrats!! Not sad, but maybe a bit anticlimactic.

Successful integration...tho one roo into a flock of hens is usually the easiest integration.

Want more excitement? Get some more hens ;-)

6. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Ya. I have 8 pullets coming in may. I'm sure the purses, shoes, and hair ribbons will be flying that day!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh cool!

Then the rooster addition was great primer on quarantine/segregation/integration for you....practice and experience is always a good thing!

We really need pics of the handsome stud and his new harem.

8. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    You bet! Currently -4*F out, but this weekend will be 50! So I'll play with them when it warms up! Lol i need a snot-cicle break!

9. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    That's awesome! I've been kicking around getting a roo for my 15 hens, but was leary of the integration. This has given me hope!

10. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    Quote:That's good stuff right there, LMAO!! Good to hear all is well! Like you I can't wait for the warmer weather we are supposed to get this weekend!! -10 when I went to work this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by