Rooster Querks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yoie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

A few days ago my rooster Krull finally crowed, he is a little over 4 months old. Now I noticed he is getting "friendly" with his girls. The funny thing is he really only likes 2 out of the 8 girls, and they are an EE and a Faverolles, the only two with beards! He is a Cochin rooster himself, so no clue on why he likes his ladies bearded! Also with all this will eggs come soon? The EE hens comb has gotten very red these past few days.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Krull "the warrior king"? I would think you may get some eggs within a few weeks. Random at first. Waiting is the hard part huh?

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You don't need a roo to get eggs. You need a roo to get fertile eggs. If your girls are getting big red wattles & combs its a good sign that she will start laying soon.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    yup, don't need a roo to get a bunch of eggs.....a roo gives you little Krulls one day!

5. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just curious if his behavior was a cue that they could be laying soon.

6. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Roosters do have preferences when it comes to their ladies. I know another chicken owner that ofter finds roosters dumped in her "yard". Last summer she got a game rooster than wouldn't join the flock, and eventually wooed a few hens to his harem. All the hens were yellow, or yellowish that he selected. I can't say my guys are discriminatory, seems they love all the girls. At least that would explain some of the crosses out of my first hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by