Rooster Question for a newbie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jwatts, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Hello, i am new to chicken farming and have 15 chickens(all three and half months old),3 being bantams. Turns out 2 of the 3 bantams are roosters and i have 1 large white comet rooster. I am lookng for any info on what to expect from having these roosters? I am constantly hearing horror stories but my most friendliest chick was the white rooster. I would hate to give them away. My wife and i just noticed the big rooster trying to mate with another hen. Just wondeing what im getting into.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just keep an eye on them and see how things play out. The large rooster will probably be dominant and the bantams will probably stay out of his way. If they free range, that lessens your chance of problems. If confined, more chance of conflicts since the little guys can't run away. I'd be most worried about the two bantam roosters overmating the bantam hen. Be prepared for problems and address them as/if they occur.

3. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Thank you,i think i am going to get some more bantam hens this weekend,hopefully there wont be too much aggresion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by