Rooster question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lclark, Mar 22, 2016.

1. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    Hello! One of my BO pullets could indeed be a rooster (pictures under gender forum thread). My question is this...can we make him his own hutch/coop and partition the fenced in enclosure where the hens will spend their daytime hours? This would allow him interaction with the hens while keeping him separated. My husband and I are open to suggestions. I just don't have the heart to get rid of him just because he/she could be a roo. We are in a rural area so roosters are welcomed here :)

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Why do you want to keep him separated?

3. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    We purchased pullets for egg production....for breakfast and cooking lol. We hadn't intended on getting a roo in the mix for hatching our own chicks. At least not at this time :)

4. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    I'm not sure if you know, but you can eat fertilised eggs just like unfertilised eggs, theres no difference unless you incubate them or live in a VERY hot climate LOL[​IMG] We eat all our chicken's eggs from flocks with and without roosters.. they all taste the same!

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    As long as you collect eggs daily you will never know the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. An egg cannot begin to develop until it is put in an incubator or under a broody hen.

6. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    Thank you so much for your feedback! My husband and I are so appreciative!

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It just occured to me today the little white spots are babies,so trust me it doesn't killl you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by