1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LEOW2012, Jun 13, 2016.

1. LEOW2012

LEOW2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    I have 14 hens (rir and gokd sex links) and 1 rooster (BO) that I raised from chicks. They are about 18 weeks old now and havent started laying yet though a few girls are getting nice and red in the face and comb. Today I caught my rooster breeding one of my Rhode islands so I was wondering, does that mean she will start laying soon? Or does that mean shes already laying and Im just not finding it?

Thanks! Got egg fever over here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Really it means she was the one he was able to catch. They are old enough that they should be laying within the next couple of weeks. For the breeds you have 18 weeks is a bit early for laying, but she might have a hidden nest somewhere.

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'd be looking for eggs to show up on the next few weeks. 18 weeks is getting pretty close and being mated by a rooster means they've reached maturity! Great sign!

4. LEOW2012

LEOW2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Caught 2 of my girls actually squatting still for the rooster today. Any day any day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by