Rooster question!

Clairemarie1982

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2019
Tennessee
Hi all! I had previously posted a concern about an aggressive rooster attacking our children to the point of drawing blood on numerous occasions and it got so bad that we felt like prisoners in our back yard, with the children too afraid to even go out which wasn’t a way to live. Anyhow this past week we gave him to a family in town who was looking for a rooster. When I went to drop him off, the couple had said that since losing their rooster last year they have had issues with their chickens picking on each other and I saw many whom had lost feathers due to this. The woman had told me to watch our flock now because without the rooster the balance may be off. So my question is does this happen only when raising chickens with a rooster from birth, and then happening when the rooster is no longer in the picture. Or does this happen if from the start there was not a rooster? Should I be concerned about this? Currently we have 9, 5 month old hens which are considered our pets and I would hate to see them start fighting! Thanks so much for any thoughts or advice!

Claire

Hi all! I had previously posted a concern about an aggressive rooster attacking our children to the point of drawing blood on numerous occasions and it got so bad that we felt like prisoners in our back yard, with the children too afraid to even go out which wasn’t a way to live. Anyhow this past week we gave him to a family in town who was looking for a rooster. When I went to drop him off, the couple had said that since losing their rooster last year they have had issues with their chickens picking on each other and I saw many whom had lost feathers due to this. The woman had told me to watch our flock now because without the rooster the balance may be off. So my question is does this happen only when raising chickens with a rooster from birth, and then happening when the rooster is no longer in the picture. Or does this happen if from the start there was not a rooster? Should I be concerned about this? Currently we have 9, 5 month old hens which are considered our pets and I would hate to see them start fighting! Thanks so much for any thoughts or advice!

Claire
I would think that when the families rooster left, the pecking order changed. Don't be worried until something happens.

Claire
Hello, Claire.

Any time a member of the flock is removed but especially when a higher ranking member is removed, the flock dynamics will change. If you have lots of space and places for lower ranking chickens to get away from higher ranking members when they need to, provide a good quality feed with 18-20% protein, I think the changes will be subtle and no damage or injury to any of the hens should result.

It's really going to depend on your hens. The pecking order will change, and there will be some squabbles. A rooster will run in and break hens fights up. I don't think it's anything chivalrous or trying to keep the peace, he just don't want anyone else in on his action. Just keep any eye on them, if you have any injuries, you can single out the main aggressor and separate her for a few days. You should be OK.

We have removed a couple roosters that we raised from chicks due to them being aggressive and the only thing that changed in our flock was the pecking order. There will be a squabble here and there at first, but it's just the chickens trying to rework the pecking order in the flock.

I have had a few flocks throughout the years and there are benefits to having a rooster and not having a rooster. Right now we have two roosters in our flock and it seems to work. Having an aggressive rooster that terrifies people is definitely not a way to live. Just watch your flock and a lot of the squabbles that you'll see is just them working out the pecking order. There could have been other issues with that person's flock that they don't even realize.

Hello, Claire.

Any time a member of the flock is removed but especially when a higher ranking member is removed, the flock dynamics will change. If you have lots of space and places for lower ranking chickens to get away from higher ranking members when they need to, provide a good quality feed with 18-20% protein, I think the changes will be subtle and no damage or injury to any of the hens should result.
Ok this is good to hear, thank you!!

We have removed a couple roosters that we raised from chicks due to them being aggressive and the only thing that changed in our flock was the pecking order. There will be a squabble here and there at first, but it's just the chickens trying to rework the pecking order in the flock.

I have had a few flocks throughout the years and there are benefits to having a rooster and not having a rooster. Right now we have two roosters in our flock and it seems to work. Having an aggressive rooster that terrifies people is definitely not a way to live. Just watch your flock and a lot of the squabbles that you'll see is just them working out the pecking order. There could have been other issues with that person's flock that they don't even realize.
Thank you, appreciate it!

It's really going to depend on your hens. The pecking order will change, and there will be some squabbles. A rooster will run in and break hens fights up. I don't think it's anything chivalrous or trying to keep the peace, he just don't want anyone else in on his action. Just keep any eye on them, if you have any injuries, you can single out the main aggressor and separate her for a few days. You should be OK.
I see, thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom