Rooster Question

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My Rooster used to be an aggresive rooster and still is but I tamed him enough to let me pick him up and he jumps on my arms to perch. He also cuddles. Well hes tamed to me and me only not anyone else bc he hates people. Well he is starting to act up again and gets offended/annoyed at everything I do now. He is starting to instead of just jumping at me legs he grabs my pants and jumps in the process. Since spring is coming up, could it be his hormones acting up again and I should just let him calm down until hes done with his mood swing.

He turns 1 including the rest of the flock March 1st. Well Feb. 29th but that's a leap year. Got him from a breeder so thats when I brought him home so he probably turned one this or last week but we are doing the day we got him if that makes sense.

My Rooster used to be an aggresive rooster and still is but I tamed him enough to let me pick him up and he jumps on my arms to perch. He also cuddles. Well hes tamed to me and me only not anyone else bc he hates people. Well he is starting to act up again and gets offended/annoyed at everything I do now. He is starting to instead of just jumping at me legs he grabs my pants and jumps in the process. Since spring is coming up, could it be his hormones acting up again and I should just let him calm down until hes done with his mood swing.

He turns 1 including the rest of the flock March 1st. Well Feb. 29th but that's a leap year. Got him from a breeder so thats when I brought him home so he probably turned one this or last week but we are doing the day we got him if that makes sense.
Personally I don't keep any rooster I don't feel safe turning my back toward.

I have kids though so there's that.

Keep in mind that if he were to attack someone, like for example the delivery guy you could be held legally responsible for their injury. Roosters can cause serious damage.

If you are able to contain him, you are the only one who is at risk then it's really your choice what you do with him.

I don't have any suggestions for what you can do to calm him down. I specifically don't handle my roosters except when it is medically necessary and for the most part they stay out of my way and I stay out of theirs. Some are just wired different though.

Most of my issues with roosters was before I knew to do that and they seemed to think I was part of the flock and not submitting to them.

I have 11 roosters and none are aggressive. I spend lots of time with them from when they were chicks. However, some of them are very skiddish still, but not aggressive. The only time I've been pecked by a rooster was when I separated most of the roosters from the hens.

He probably has sensed you have shy-ed of him some how. Pick him up, never show fear and be the boss. This is not being mean. He will eventually know his place again.

It could be hormons, but they can be ready to breed anytime of year. He is young and could calm, but he is showing an aggressive tendency that will probably never completely go away. The best chance of getting him to stop is to show him you are in charge. Take a look at the risk involved in keeping him to see if he improves.

It could be hormons, but they can be ready to breed anytime of year. He is young and could calm, but he is showing an aggressive tendency that will probably never completely go away. The best chance of getting him to stop is to show him you are in charge. Take a look at the risk involved in keeping him to see if he improves.
I o show him im the boss and anytime I give him the V neck he goes down immediately because he knows he did something wrong. I used to out him in timeout whci was an enclosed part of the run. He never liked it but when he came out he let me be. I think I intimidate him a little sometimes. Not on purpose, it happens. I know the aggression will never go away. I usually give him time to calm and then he goes back to being his little sweet demon and cuddles.

Personally I don't keep any rooster I don't feel safe turning my back toward.

I have kids though so there's that.

Keep in mind that if he were to attack someone, like for example the delivery guy you could be held legally responsible for their injury. Roosters can cause serious damage.

If you are able to contain him, you are the only one who is at risk then it's really your choice what you do with him.

I don't have any suggestions for what you can do to calm him down. I specifically don't handle my roosters except when it is medically necessary and for the most part they stay out of my way and I stay out of theirs. Some are just wired different though.

Most of my issues with roosters was before I knew to do that and they seemed to think I was part of the flock and not submitting to them.
He is always in an enclosed run with the flock. There wouldn't be any time were a stranger would get attacked by him. He is only outside of the coop/run in a garden area where I am out and they're usually out for like 30 min. There is no need for someone to walk over to the coop and if it is a stranger that isn't an ail man and looks very suspicious I will release my rooster. LOL. but he cant hurt anyone

He is always in an enclosed run with the flock. There wouldn't be any time were a stranger would get attacked by him. He is only outside of the coop/run in a garden area where I am out and they're usually out for like 30 min. There is no need for someone to walk over to the coop and if it is a stranger that isn't an ail man and looks very suspicious I will release my rooster. LOL. but he cant hurt anyone
That's good. What you decide to do with him is completely up to you then. Sorry I'm no help with figuring out what you can do to tame him.

Back
Top Bottom