rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magentamomma, Nov 11, 2009.

1. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    Hi! i have a 9 month old cockeral, buff orpington. he is a nice big handsome fellow name sawyer. His favorite hen is a dominate SLW, same age. i ave noticed twice now that when he mounts her he isn't actually ( no delicate way of saying this) penetrating her. he is successful with my RIR could it be too much feathers in the way? Its very strange, she submits ans hes not a super aggresssive guy.i know there isn't anything to be done i just wonder whats up. A connected question, i have 1 bantan roo and ny big guy and 20 hens all 9 months old. the bantie can't seem to mate with most of the hens, they won't let him, so are there too many hens for the rooster?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This link talks about vent trimming. With certain breeds, like Cochin and Orpington, the feathers are so thick the fertility can be reduced. It does not mean that all eggs are infertile, but not as many are fertile. I'm not sure excess feathers are the problem in your case. Trimming might help but there might be some other dynamics at work there.

Vent Trimming
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=153319

Do you know how to check for fertile eggs? This link might help with that.

Fertile Egg Pictures
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Not sure how to answer your other question either. The recommended ratio of rooster to hens to insure fertility is 10 to 12 for large fowl and 12 to 15 for bantams. You meet that ratio with two roosters with 20 hens. I don't have bantams but I've seen plenty of posts on here where a bantam can fertilize a full sized hen. I've also seen posts where there are sometimes problems, but I think that is usually with young roosters. At 9 months, your bantam may just need to mature some more before he can perform his duties, but I would have thought his teenage clumsiness was mostly behind him. This is probably not much help, but I think I would just give him more time.

Good luck!!

3. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    Thanks. I will have to start charting my fertility rates

4. waterpossum

waterpossum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Waukomis
    i have a cochin banty rooster that tries to mount my SLW standard hens. she lets him on top of her but when he/s on her shoulders....well the other parts don/t line up right. she/s too long in the body compared to him. he tries to do his thing but nothing happens. he jumps off...she does the shimmy shake and all is well with the world ...if they only knew! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by