Rooster question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Jan 6, 2010.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Does anyone keep all their roosters? Everytime I hatch eggs, I have to deal with getting rid of some roos when I really like them all. Anyone else feel that way?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Out of all my spring chicks 6 turned out roos. After three were taken by owls in the night b/c they were sleeping outside I ended up culling two and using them in a stew. Yummy!! One is left and he is oding pretty good. I read that someone said that one roo per ten hens is good. I'm thinking about taking on two more to try and hatch some of my own eggs.

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Everyone seems to differ on this subject. It really depends on where you live (neighborhood or country) and if you are ok with culling or eating your rooster. Some people will keep their rooster until it starts to crow and then put it on Craigslist. Do whatever you feel is best. [​IMG]

5. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I got attached to my 2 roos even though we didn't plan to keep any. Since they were from the same clutch and they were good buddies I decided to build a "batchelor pad" for them apart from the hens. I read that if they are raised together and there are no ladies to fight over multiple roosters can live together in peace and harmony. Sadly, I had to put one down at around three months old so I never got to see how it worked with mature roos.

6. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    It is always a dilemma. But do not get attached. Remember the ratio 1 rooster for every 10 hens. The rest will be re-homed or a trip to the pot. Just my suggestion. Do what ever is best for your flock.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have nothing against meat birds or rooster roast, but I can't do it. I guess I was wondering more about who keeps a bachelor pad, I'm thinking of having a bachelor pad, and just having to rehome the ones that don't want to play nice. I love hatching eggs-I hate having to rehome cockerals.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have a bachalor pad, but when the bachalors get big enough the move into the Frigadair Pad. Helps keep the hens from goin bald while the young roos try out thier new found SKILLS.

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    I was in your shoes this summer....started out with 7 hens, one of my girls went broody so a friend gave me eggs for her, she hatched 5 - (3 pullets and 2 roos.) Then I really went crazy this fall at an auction and bought 10 more chicks, ended up being (3 pullet and 3 roo EE's), and 4 frizzles - (2 pullets and 2 roos.) Gave a frizzle roo to a friend. Now I have 21....15 hens and 6 roos.

People told me to give my roos away - BUT - we all know, not many people want a rooster, and since I wouldn't eat any of my birds I couldn't give them away to someone else to eat. I was lucky my DH knows how I am so he said he would build me another coop. It's not finished yet, it's 10x10 and we are already making plans to section off 4...2x5 areas (under the counter top that runs along two walls) with their own run for the boys that won't get along. That is our solution for my extra roos......it's better than being served on a plate [​IMG]

I did learn my lesson....No more auctions and if any of my hens go broody, I'm gonna buy female chicks and stick them under her!!!!

So, IMO you should build a bachelor pad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by