Rooster question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Smarcebird, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Smarcebird

Smarcebird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Durango, CO
    Hey all - 1st of all - he's not mean. Seems like that is all the rooster questions I could find. [​IMG]

I have 8 girls, mixed of breeds, 1 rooster, all hatched in spring of 2011.

Our constantly broody Buff Orpington is his favorite. Already had to make her a saddle. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and looks it. A couple of the other girls are also starting to show wear and tear from Mr. Roo.

When we got chicks, I talked my husband in to keeping a rooster to help protect the flock. They are in a secure coop/run unless we are home, then out to free range. But we got chickens for eggs, not for hatching.

My husband wants to get rid of roo since he is tearing up the girls. Make them happier. He hasn't shown any aggression towards us - ever - yet. Will he grow out of the constant jumping of the girls? Maybe when his hormones settle down? How long to wait? Leave him out of coop during the day to give the girls a break?

An input is appreciated. He's a good boy, just a little sex crazed. (aren't they all?) [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I do think roosters slow down a bit as they age. Since you just hatched him in the spring, he's just now getting through that "extremely randy" stage, so I would say that, if you like him, and it seems like you do, then keep him. Just use the saddles for a while longer. Or forever on his favorite gal.

3. Smarcebird

Smarcebird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Durango, CO
    Any ideas on how long this "randy" stage can last? Hatched last April. I did order some new saddles, the one I made didn't seem to cut it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by