Rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reds1965, Oct 11, 2013.

1. reds1965

reds1965 New Egg

Apr 6, 2013
    How old are Roosters when they start being agressive? I have 3 bantam roosters and they are all getting along now but i wonder how long that will last.They were all raised as chicks together so I am hoping they will not start to fight, I got them this spring so they are about 7 mos. old now. 1 is a white silkie,1 is a black frizzle,and the other one looks like a traditional rooster. He's the smallest one and he has the most macho personality but is the sweetest one he lets me hold him and pet him. The other 2 are afraid of me and run away.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If they have aggressive tendencies, they ought to start showing up now.

However, there is much you can do to prevent these problems. Hormone surges cause some roosters to be nervous and mistrustful. You can counter it by being slow, deliberate, and careful when near them, and especially around the hens.

If any of the roos do show aggression, never display any fear. Push the offending roo to the ground, hold him there until he relaxes, then release him, standing your ground. Do not turn and walk away. Only leave after he walks off.

You're lucky so far so you may be doing everything right, or you'd see some indication of aggression by now.

3. reds1965

reds1965 New Egg

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. I will do that if they start to show agression towards me . What if they show agression towards each other? Should I break it up?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Barring a bloody fight to the death, I'd leave them alone to work out their pecking order.

Many of us find it more peaceful if we separate the roos from the hens, especially if there are multiple roos. A bachelor pen is useful in this regard. If none have access to the hens, they are more apt to get along with one another.

5. reds1965

reds1965 New Egg

Apr 6, 2013
    good advice thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by