Rooster question!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiffrosef, Aug 5, 2014.

1. tiffrosef

tiffrosef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    So I am inhertiting a rooster from my mom sometime in the next few weeks. It's whole life it has been fed layer feed (they didn't start with chick feed or even grower feed, just straight to layer, don't ask me why I don't know.) I know of plenty of people that feed their full grown roos a layer feed diet, but he is still only 2.5 months old. Is there any sort of health problems I should prepare myself for due to bad diet? If so, any ideas on how to get the boy back on track? Right now he seems small for his age, smaller than my girls anyways. My girls are all right around the same age and they're all still on grower feed, is it okay to switch him straight from layer to grower or should I mix for a while?

I want to make sure he is healthy and happy, but I am concerned about the diet he has been fed so far. No greens, fruits or veggies at all... just layer feed since they got him at about 3 weeks old.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Not much you can do now about what he's been fed so far. I'd just go ahead and put him on the grower feed, he really doesn't need all that extra calcium and that's pretty much all your going to be eliminating by switching feed.

Do you have a fenced off place to put him for a couple weeks once he arrives where your flock can see him but not get at him? Don't want to just pop him in there and have them beat the snot out of him.

3. tiffrosef

tiffrosef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    Yeah he has a little pen I am gonna stick him in. So far my girls are really friendly and don't mind me adding new birds to their flock, however I have only added girls so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by