Rooster Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Acornewell, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    I have my Rooster inside healing from frostbite. He is pacing and crowing...he seems so sad and misses his girls. Quite frankly he is driving me insane. He is now trying to woo and dance for the cat. Should I bring a hen in to keep him company?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    How long do you think it will take for him to heal? How bad is the frostbite? My rooster gets frostbite but all I do is put Vaseline on him and he is fine. I would let him outside personally.

3. Acornewell

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    He is healed pretty much. But he gets it so easily, so I was waiting to put him back out till it is a bit warmer out. It is only 17 degrees right now.

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    He may have to be put back if he gets really lonely. I don't think he can wait inside very long being a rooster.

5. Acornewell

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    Maybe I could put vaseline on him and gradually put him out a little bit each day? And continue to monitor his comb and waddles.

I brought in his favorite gal. He is dancing up a storm. He and I both would be much happier with him outside. He just literally gets frostbite just looking outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by