rooster questions ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bustermommy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have four pullets who are about 12 weeks (1 NH, 2 EEs and 1 partridge rock), 2 pullets about 16 weeks (marans and ameraucana) and 1 red sex link cockeral about 16-18 weeks.

He makes no attempt to breed the four younger pullets but is always (5-6 times a day) breeding the older two. No one has laid yet. I have read that overbreeding the hens will upset them and prevent them from laying.

Also, I don't exactly know what the definition of "willing" is for pullets, but they squawk a lot and try to run, but do lift their tails for him when he finally mounts. Any advice? I guess I want to know if I should get rid of him?

He seems to have abandoned, well lost interest in, the younger four (although the older two are later additions) and even throws them off the roost at night. He is a greedy guts with food and always insists on eating first. He is NOT people aggressive and has not drawn blood or anything even when he is bullying the hens. Will his behavior become better with age?

I definitely want a rooster because I want to have a closed flock, but I have a Lt. Sussex pair who are about 10 weeks old also and I guess I could just have him as my only roo. But, I'm nervous though about whether he will be a good rooster when he grows up. His breeding is not great as he has some very light feathering on his legs which he shouldn't have and if I want to adhere to the breed standard, I'll have to replace him.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He's not mating the 12 week old chickens because they aren't old enough yet to be ready. You can bet as soon as they are, he'll be mating them. Roosters mature before pullets do. Chasing is normal, he's still young and practicing. Hens will submit by squatting for him so he can mount them.

No way to know if he'll be a good rooster or not - he still has lots of growing to do.

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks. That was what I was hoping I'd hear. We really like him even though he's a jerk to the ladies sometimes. At what age can I expect him to be mature enough to determine whether he's any good or not?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by