1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster questions and Egglaying questions -

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sky bird, Dec 2, 2012.

1. sky bird

sky bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Southern Missouri
    Rooster question -

Today, ( December 32 ) one of my rooster's were trying to mate with one of my hens. He is only 5 months old. Is this normal? Should they be doing this when they are older?

I'm expecting my roosters to start crowing any day now although I will have to give two of my roosters away because of them fighting.

Egglaying question -

When are my hens supposed to start laying eggs? They are five months old. In the summer or what?

Thanks for any help ~

- Ashley

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Five months is usually around when most breeds reach maturity. The roosters tend to reach it first. So the hens should start to lay in a couple of weeks or when the days start to lenghten or maybe hold off until closer to spring.

3. sky bird

sky bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Southern Missouri
    Alright. Thank you for the help. So my hens might start laying before spring you think? Hmm ... I'll keep a close eye on them. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by