Rooster questions.....((UPDATE))

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lurky, Sep 24, 2007.

1. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    So my Rooster was not planned and the guy who i got him from said he would take him back. He is so absolutely beautiful, that i want to keep him. Also, i know he has a good home here and knows no other life so i would feel kinda bad to ditch him. If he goes back to the farm, he will get to freerange and will not have the safe scheduled life he has now. For one thing, he is VERY loud. So far nobody has complained and i told the neighbors to tell me if he was a problem. Second....He seems kinda like a jerk. He walked up to his sister tonight and ripped a chunk of her feathers out of her neck. No mating....just yanked them out. She crouched down in fear, but then acted fine as if nothing happened. I do not need a Rooster so i am thinking very strongly toward sending him back. So my post is to see what people think. He is 5 1/2 month old right now. When people here talk about the sweet Roo they have.....i just wish he was like that. Is he going to mature and change? Or is he just a bossy jerk? When do you decide if your Rooster is a jerk or just a teenager learning. Do all Roo's pull feathers? OK...Advice please.......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    First the statement about the neighbors. What are your zoning laws? If you are allowed to have the girls but not roos then you might be shooting yourself in the foot by keeping him.

He is learning. Some learn rapidly, others are dopes for quite a while. If he isn't trying to flog you then you still have a sweet bird. If/when he comes after you then we'll talk.

3. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thank you for your reply Robin, My zoning does not allow Roosters. That is why i spoke to the neighbors about it. I wanted them to feel they could approach me if they wanted him gone. If they had a problem with him crowing, i would not hesitate as i would have to do it.
    He is not the only Rooster i got. I have a bantam too, but he is not too loud and he is very friendly with me. I am keeping him for sure. I have two pens for them. Although he is not aggressive with me, he is not friendly either. I worry that i will have my hands full when the spurs come in. Thats what got me really thinking tonight.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    As much as I hate to say it... given your situation with the zoning, the fact that he's loud, and he's already pulling feathers, I'd have to send him to the farm.

Just being realistic. [​IMG]

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I have one Silkie rooster that is a devil. Its almost funny because he's got no chance of doing damage but it doesn't stop him from trying. Occassionally he gets really stupid when I'm changing feed or water out and comes after me. I pin him to the ground for a few seconds then let him go. He stands there like he can't believe I'd treat him that way but doesn't do it again until the next time I'm in his pen.

I have three boys who think biting when I pick them up is a grand idea. That one is harder to deal with. Then there are all the rest who are just the sweetest guys. Didn't realize I had that many roos until I started typing.

6. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats ok......I feel very strongly that i should send him back. I have a very strong feeling he is threatened by me because the girls love me more than him. With that, i am afraid he is going to be challenging me down the road. He does not seem to trust me. I think if we had alot of space for him to roam free he might be fine. My bantam roo wants to sit on my shoulder and he is just about 3 months old. I think i kinda know i should, but he is so beautiful i hate to have to give him up. Then if i do send him back, i dont know how we are going to catch him to get him there [​IMG] Also i spoil my chickens and feel bad to have him used to this life when the farmer is no way going to bring him warm oatmeal in AM etc.....etc..... [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Ah, but he'll get to feast at the free range buffet...

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Right.....He will probably like it better [​IMG]

I am not sure still, as i will feel bad, but i have more of me saying to do it.
    Thanks for your help
    Wendy

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    From what I know of roosters, I think he would enjoy it.

10. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I wanted to comment on the feather, neck plucking thing. All the rooster we've had have done this. They were a little aggressive til they figure out what they were doing. Now that they're more mature they've settled down some and only grab the necks when they are ready to get on top, and the girls submit. Having said that you have a noise ordinance issue. My two roosters seems to crow mostly in the morning and evening, but sometimes they go at 3:00 am, etc. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by